Thinking about upgrading to a newer fox need advice

slow3gt

Nov 30, 2005
nashville tn
Right now ive got an 84 gt that i got a deal on. The car is great for a daily driver to keep miles and wear off my 03 gt. My original plan was to put a new motor, and an 8.8 in it. With everthing included it is going to cost me almost $4000 plus the car needs a paint job and a few other things. Looking at how much it will cost i might as well buy a newer EFI 5.0 that is in better shape. I would mainly be using this as a daily driver until i get out of college and probably wont do many mods right now other than exhuast and a short throw. Ive heard that the 5.0's can get great gas mileage whats the average for a stock 5.0 5spd prereably LX coupe? and also my budget would be at most $4000 could this buy me a decent car? I would liek to get a 90-93 if money allows because they are the Mass air and they have clearcoat paint instaed of enamel (correct me if im wrong). Any advice you can give me on looking for one would be great i know alot about the 4.6's but not as much about the 5.0's and i would love to learn more so i can find the right car.

• Sponsors (?)

Well I think you should just do a new paintjob done by some local guy on the side, exhaust and maybe gears depending on if u can install things yourself as well as buying 2nd hand parts.

But if you prefer a 90-93 your probably gonna be in the same situation where it could not be in good cosmetic condition, have high miles, but still have bolt ons. From what I've seen around here, for 4 grand you can either get something that looks awesome with maybe a few bolt ons and rims, or a car that is pretty quick but looks like hell.

If I was you I'd do yourself the favor and keep ur stang!

Right now ive got an 84 gt that i got a deal on. The car is great for a daily driver to keep miles and wear off my 03 gt. My original plan was to put a new motor, and an 8.8 in it. With everthing included it is going to cost me almost $4000 plus the car needs a paint job and a few other things. Looking at how much it will cost i might as well buy a newer EFI 5.0 that is in better shape. I would mainly be using this as a daily driver until i get out of college and probably wont do many mods right now other than exhuast and a short throw. Ive heard that the 5.0's can get great gas mileage whats the average for a stock 5.0 5spd prereably LX coupe? and also my budget would be at most $4000 could this buy me a decent car? I would liek to get a 90-93 if money allows because they are the Mass air and they have clearcoat paint instaed of enamel (correct me if im wrong). Any advice you can give me on looking for one would be great i know alot about the 4.6's but not as much about the 5.0's and i would love to learn more so i can find the right car.

89's are mass air as well..yeah..in the 20's if you keep your foot out of it...

yea id like to keep it but i just dont have the time to build it between work and college. I would aslo have to buy ignition system, new tires, diff, exhaust, and it also needs some suspension work. I just think it would be more pratical to get a newer one and leave it alone until i get out of school. I could also make some money of my 84 i payed $400 for it and i have a about a grand into it. I could probably at least get 2k for it its in good shape and drives well its just very slow.