Those good ole Shade tree repairs ,lets see them !

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Wile Coyote's stunt double
I was pulling the cowl top off a very rusty 64 1/2 ,this is what i find for the air vent replacement for driver side under the cowl . That is only the start ,lets see the lovely repairs you have found !
20211018_125445.jpg
20211018_125429.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

A little sheet metal missing from the floor you say ,a nice flat piece of sheet metal will do the job ! You dont even need to remove the old rotted piece ,just lay it over the old rotted out piece . Cant weld you say ? A few screws and a couple of pop rivets and you are good to go !
20211018_163933.jpg

A little sheet metal missing from the floor you say ,a nice flat piece of sheet metal will do the job ! You dont even need to remove the old rotted piece ,just lay it over the old rotted out piece . Cant weld you say ? A few screws and a couple of pop rivets and you are good to go !
20211018_163933.jpg
Pop rivets rock! At least until a tire delaminates, beats the panel and breaks the rivets.

I was pulling the cowl top off a very rusty 64 1/2 ,this is what i find for the air vent replacement for driver side under the cowl . That is only the start ,lets see the lovely repairs you have found !
20211018_125445.jpg
20211018_125429.jpg
I...don't understand this at all, I mean, to install that you would have to remove the upper cowl. Why in the world would you not just patch this? Even if you had to make a sheet metal collar from scratch because you didn't have the piece. That makes no sense at all.

Reactions: 1 user
They did it from the bottom ,i guess a plastic bucket was a lot easier than welding in a new cowl patch ,and this was only done a few years ago so there was patches . You wouldnt believe some of the patch work ,where there was no metal at all left they simply added sheets of metal or built it up with fiberglass

,lets see the lovely repairs you have found !

Here is one repair from recently, '31 Ford...

Wheel well has a galvanized patch brass tacked on top of whole wheel well to cover the damage.
Already cut some off as I tried to remove it.
Fire is where I heated the brass to get it to pop loose.
Bottom is supposed to hang down 2.5 inches to cover/attach to the the green floor pan frame.
The floor rotted and everything that touched it is rotted off.
Green pan is from a sedan and not quite right for this body but close enough to make work.

IMG_0253.JPG
IMG_0254.JPG

Grandpas chitty patch and enthusiasm saved this car for the next generation, just as my repairs will save it for the next also.
2 piece repair, simple side I made on buddies brake. Repaired bottom of B pillar also. Now both can 'bolt' to pan.
Ford used hot rivets and I want it serviceable.
That patch was shiny new metal when I started then it flashed instantly.
Everything rots in the jungle...

RenderedImage.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG