tick noise

00GTpony

Mar 10, 2007
I get this loud ticking noise everyonce in a while comming from my engine compartment, only at idle.... Ill hear it like once a week. And it last for a few minutes or till i rev it up a bit...Its not exhaust leak i checked the exhaust ( except for header gaskets ). What could it be its driving me crazy

• Sponsors (?)

I had a similar problem, couldnt hear it from inside the car w/ the windows up, but it was audible w/ windows down or from outside the car at idle. I had a timing chain tensioner fail which allowed the timing chain to slap against the guide. If your ticking noise sounds like metal to plastic (loud tick but not metal to metal) then I'd look into that. A little costly of a fix but better than a bottom end going out. Next time you star the car and the noise re-occurs, grab a screwdriver and try to isolate it to the timing cover, also would hear it most from the valve covers. If its more audible at the bottom end I would say its not your timing chain tensioner.

*edit*

I believe 03+ heads have more threads in for sparkplugs. Still may be your problem though.