Ticking And Oil Pressure

MafiaMustang

Nov 4, 2016
I have a unique situation and I'm looking to the Mustang gods for help lol. I have a 1990 fox that has quite a few mods on it. I have a ticking from the valve train and I'm only getting the oil pressure gauge to show pressure at about 3k rpms. I've changed the oil pump out. Changed some push rods even though they didn't look bent. Changed 2 of the roller rockers. and it's still ticking. Any one had a similar situation. I can provide more details if need be.

• Sponsors (?)

Yea, like a list of mods. Aftermarket gauge or stock? Does it get louder when you rev it up? If you don't have a stethoscope type thingy than take a long small diameter funnel and hold the small end NEAR your ear and point the big end around the valve covers and header area to isolate the noise. Oil pressure could be bad gauge and tick'n noise be leaking header gasket. Thats the best case, probably just a prius stuck in your grill.
Couldn't resist, forgive me.

Prius was my first guess too lol. it doesn't get louder when reved it stays the same just gets faster. they are the stock gauges. I've been told the stock gauges aren't the best too. I have comp cam rollers but the mounting bolts are non adjustable thato might be something.

I bought an aftermarket gauge just need to install it. When I pull the vavle covers it is wet with oil. I will Google the mechanical gauge check. I've adjusted them all with the EOIC method and torqued them to 18 to 20 lbs.

could be a number of things
  • collapsed/sticky lifter
  • weak valve spring
  • worn rocker arm or wrong preload
  • wrong length pushrod
  • rocker arm hitting valve cover

Also some rockers - like the Ford racing ones- simply have a tendancy to tick.. Take a wooden plunger or other dowel and stick one end to the top of the valve cover in different places and the other end to your ear to try and isolate it. . I;ve also seen where a heavier oil 20/50w will quiet it up

Reactions: 1 user
Installed the aftermarket gauge and it's reading 0 psi at idle and 10 at 3 to 4k rpms. After installing new pushrods it is only ticking once in a while but the no oil pressure is concerning. it has new main bearings and cam bearings from the shop and I've already replaced to oil pump. any ideas?

Installed the aftermarket gauge and it's reading 0 psi at idle and 10 at 3 to 4k rpms. After installing new pushrods it is only ticking once in a while but the no oil pressure is concerning. it has new main bearings and cam bearings from the shop and I've already replaced to oil pump. any ideas?

When I changed my gauges, I had to change the sending unit. If it doesn't match the guage it can alter your readings.

Reactions: 1 user
Well update guys I'm gonna pull the engine. It think John might be right with the engine bearing. I think I'm getting that 10 psi at 3500 because of blow by.
Blow by? Is / was it pushing smoke out of the oil filler?
I don't think a bad bearing and blow by are related, could be wrong, keep us posted on what you find.

Pulled the Engine and Had the Machine shop check it out. They are telling me the Rod Bearings look some what washed out and that's what is causing me not to have oil pressure. Is this possible it sounds a little odd.

Pulled the Engine and Had the Machine shop check it out. They are telling me the Rod Bearings look some what washed out and that's what is causing me not to have oil pressure. Is this possible it sounds a little odd.
yes. increased tolerances-spaces between the bearings and rotating partd-will cause a reduction in oil pressure and noises. Normally worn bearings sound like a washing machine. Ticking noises are normally from improper valvetrain geomety or collapsed lifters, springs.