• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Timing cover gasket

  • Thread starter Thread starter stirling33
  • Start date Start date Jul 25, 2007

stirling33

Member
May 14, 2005
126
0
16
Grayslake, IL
Jul 25, 2007
#1
  • Jul 25, 2007
  • #1
My block is out of a 89' but I am running an early style timing cover. Does anyone know what part # I should be using for the timing cover. I am looking at Fel Pro.

Thanks
 

iskwezm

10 Year Member
May 24, 2005
4,159
20
79
Rowland Heights,California
Jul 25, 2007
#2
  • Jul 25, 2007
  • #2
i think they're all the same, only the fuel pump being open or closed changes.
 
M

mustangman1974

Member
Jan 17, 2004
463
0
16
Jul 25, 2007
#3
  • Jul 25, 2007
  • #3
Thats exactly what my old motor was. I always bought the gasket set for the year of the timing cover. I believe there is a difference in gaskets included. If I remember right I think the oil seal might be different.
 

iskwezm

10 Year Member
May 24, 2005
4,159
20
79
Rowland Heights,California
Jul 25, 2007
#4
  • Jul 25, 2007
  • #4
mustangman1974 said:
If I remember right I think the oil seal might be different.
Click to expand...
yup
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Jul 25, 2007
#5
  • Jul 25, 2007
  • #5
The timing cover gaskets now have a ring to punch out for the cover locating dowels that the late models use. To use it with the early cover, just leave the rings in place, and remove the dowels from the block, if they're still in place. The crank seal goes in from the front with the newer covers, and from the backside with the early covers.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

A
Catch can questions.
  • AngryH58
  • Sep 26, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
95
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Tuesday at 8:34 AM
squeak93
6
Hey all,I’m putting together a 302 for my 1968 Mustang and wanted to post the combo + some questions to make sure I’m not missing crucial
  • 68_Disgustang
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
gray owl
G
J
2004 mustang 4.6 timing cover
  • jk66
  • Jun 26, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
191
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jun 30, 2026
Noobz347
Interior and Upholstery 1993 Instrument Cluster cover
  • KevinV
  • Jul 2, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
182
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 3, 2026
AeroCoupe
D
Paint removal on machined gasket surfaces.
  • Ddyer2868
  • Feb 16, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
318
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Feb 23, 2026
ctandc
C
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?