Tips, best way to align supercharger pulleys?

• Sponsors (?)

I use a four foot long aluminum ruler held tight to the crank pulley. Rotate the ruler or other straight edge to each pulley holding it tight to the crank pulley. This will show any misalignment if the straight edge does not sit flush on each pulley. Of course, misaligned crank pulley will skew the results.
The same could be done with an inexpensive laser.

I just eyeballed it. I leaned over the engine looking straight down at the pullies or as close as I could get. I added washers to what ever needed it on the bracket. They dlook pretty darn close to me and the belt hasn't shredded. Im on the original belt that I got when I did the 8 Rib Kit and that was a good 5k+ miles ago.

I put mine together with Ford PN's for about half that.

Alternator pulley GP-720
Power steering pulley XL3Z-3A733-AA
A/C Clutch pulley YB-522
Tensioner 1L3Z-6B209-AA
Crank pulley XL3Z-6312-CA
Idler pulley YS-250
Water pump pulley F6TZ-8509-AA

some guy on here gave me this parts list to use ford pulleys, he reused the 6 rib idler pulleys because they were wide enough:

Alternator pulley GP-720
Power stearing XL3Z-3A733-AA
A/C YB-522
Tensioner 1L3Z-6B209-AA
Crank XL3Z-6312-CA
Idler YS-520
Water pump F6TZ-8509-AA

Hey gear banger thanks for the list......I must have been retyping it when you were posting

some guy on here gave me this parts list to use ford pulleys, he reused the 6 rib idler pulleys because they were wide enough:

Alternator pulley GP-720
Power stearing XL3Z-3A733-AA
A/C YB-522
Tensioner 1L3Z-6B209-AA
Crank XL3Z-6312-CA
Idler YS-520
Water pump F6TZ-8509-AA

Hey gear banger thanks for the list......I must have been retyping it when you were posting
I was going to say.....I wonder who that "some guys" was. :D

what did you do about the extra 8 rib idler?

I was able to reuse my stock idlers, water pump pulley and tensioner pulleys. Some required me to shim them out a little with the use of washers, but once lined up, the pulley surface remains as wide as the 8-rib belt, just the same. The only ones I really "needed" to buy were the Alternator, Crank, A/C and Power Steering. :nice:

wonder how much the alternator, a/c, crank, and power steering pulley will be with an employee discount?

If I upgrade im gonna go that route and just use those 4 pulleys like brian said

What is the benefit of going 8 rib?

Will it actually fix my problem?

my Paxton kit had a ribbed idler that was made by RR. maybe each kit is different
Not sure...unless your kit requires the complete rerouting, or addition of pulleys you shouldn't need a ribbed idler pulley, since the back of the serpentine belt is what runs along the idlers with the normal configuration, not the front?

I'm sure you could buy the pulley separately though?