Tips on putting an engine back together

mooktank

Jul 7, 2004
hey guys im getting ready to put the 351W in my garage back together after porting and polishing the heads and putting in a new cam. I just need some tips and tricks on this becuase i'm new. I bought all new stainless bolts and all new gaskets for everything since i took off everything except the crank. I need to know when to use RTV and when to grease seals etc. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

the most inportant advise i can give you is to keep everything clean as possible and take your time,and no when to call it quits for a day,and dont forget to cover up your motor when your done for the day.

also have a manual handy. im sure a 302 build up is the same as a 351 so a haynes manual would come in handy. there is a muscle mustangs and fast fords magazine that they release yearly and this years mag has build up and tear down of a 302 in it.

Oh yeah i have a manual. I just wanted to know any tricks from experienced engine builders. like should I use gaskets and RTV or just gaskets. or other little crazy tricks. thanks.

Is the crank the only thing left in your engine? If so when you put the rods and pistons back in make sure you use assembly lube on the rod and main bearings. Just make sure everything is lubercated well during the install. Like the cam for instance, make sure that is well lubed up. And if your rocker arms are off of the head let them soak in oil for a little bit before you install them. And like said before, take your time

On the connecting rods when putting them into the block put a piece of rubber hose on the rod ends to prevent scratching the piston chamber nothing worse then having a perfect cross hatch and the killing it with the rod end bolts! Even tape if your really ghetto would work too. The last 350 my dad and I rebuilt he bought that Zmax stuff and rubbed the cylinder walls with it "the oil additive" right before the piston install along with assembly lube. Remember dont go cheap when rebuilding you'll regret it. I'm no expert in engine building but these are just things i've seen and done. good luck.