Tranny problem-aod

• Sponsors (?)

I figured out that I blew up my AOD the first time, when I pulled up and stopped on a hill and immediately started rolling backward (as if in neutral). A trip to the tranny shop said, "That'll be $800 please." A spacer failed, and the tranny was toast. Second time it just exploded while I was driving about 45 mph. I said screw AODs.

Put in a 5 spd, never had a problem.....

Just saying...your tranny is PROBABLY toast, and if it's not, it won't be too long.

Did you make sure to put tranny fluid in after you installed it? I install a used tranny before with transmission fuild that was inside already but it still wouldn't move so i put about 3 quarts in an let it warm up for a few minutes then i was gone. :D

Hehehe... I pulled my Mustang into the shop and told the guy at the counter only two of the gears were working, he asked which ones... i told him Neutral and Park... but hey, it lasted 166k... I've got 20k on the new one... my guess is AOD=over sorry..

Low fluid ? TV cable ? When doing a swap like this its best to get an 89 or newer AOD.
These are easy trans to rebuild there are many parts from the newer trans (aode/4r70w) to upgrade the AOD, mine is on year 3 of racing :D

Now put some HP under the hood and bang the gears and watch and see what happens.

Yeah but at least T-5's are small, compact and easy to repair. I actually have two of them - 1 as a backup.

AOD's are just massive, expensive and heavy. Installing one on your back in a driveway is a HUGE PITA i hope i never have to do again. Luckily, i converted to a 5-spd.

Where's my favorite AOD picture...oh yeah here it is

I can't even give this thing away. 100K miles, shifted fine, nobody wants it

57960d1240780797-mustang5l5s-progress-thread-dsc00437.jpg

BTW, i realize a built AOD will handle much more power than a manual, but for the weekend car most of us here seem to have, i still think they blow