Tungsten finger prints in clearcoat or paint

chcpman

Dec 8, 2004
Hello

Well from being pumped for the new car to down in the dumps.
Get the new car Friday... nothing noted problem wise.
Park in driveway and notice some finger prints inside what looks like the clearcoat.
Today I found out they look like there in the paint.
Not big defects but in the right sunlight they look like ultraviolet on white.
Anyone got any insight on what my next steps should be. Any help would be appreciated.
Of course this is Ford's problem but what should I do.
Repaint the drivers side door and rear quarter panel?? That kinda sucks for a brand new car.
Looking for some insight.
CHCPMAN

• Sponsors (?)

I feel your pain on what to do.... I just dropped off my GT to the Local dealer body shop.. There was some panel seam sealer, under the paint by the left rear panel. :bang: And some plastic flash on the rear valance that was visible from the side.

I had to decide if it was enough to make me want to have a body shop screw with my new car..

Helping my decision,, is my wife works at this dealer,, and we know the Body guys very well..... I know the job will be done right. If I had not had that,, I'm not sure I would have had the work done under warranty at the dealer.

199 said:
have you tried claybaring it?? maybe it will help

Claybar won't help.... I had a detailer try power polishing and no change... It is under the clearcoat, in the clearcoat or in the paint.

The question is do I live with the little anomoly's or push for repair.... with the repair won't they pretty much have to sand down and redo the entire rear quarter panel and door???

But then again it is still fun to drive... upside I guess.

Not sure about dealer... guess it is warranty with dealer or I pay. I will have to talk to them about the options.

CHCPMAN

get it taken care of, go back and complain asap.. 'cuz I guarantee it will just keep eating at you, and a year from now you're going to be mad you didn't take it back in, and there's nothing they'll do for you then.

i dunno, you have 2 options. live with a small defect, or get your self potentially huge headache. i will never have anyone do any body/paint work on my car. there are too many idiots out there that rush the job. it really pisses me off when people dont sand before they paint!!!. i have run into too many situations where they are trying to do it fast, and skip a few steps. i am a bodyman myself, and it drives me crazy when people hack cars. i have paint crackin on my roof. i will spend the $150 in materials and do it myself before i let someone screw it up. dealerships like to spot paint. this means they sand a small area a little bigger than the repair, and then clear only that part, and polish. this does not solve the problem, it creates more. the paint warranty will be up before you notice that you can see the blend lines, then you will have to pay out of pocket to fix it, andit is 100x worse than the small problem you have now. take your chances if you want, but not me!!!

FastNYellow said:
it might be in the clear, it shouldnt* bei nthe color, those cras are paintedb y machines, noone in an assy. plant comes near them when they r being painted.
that doesnt mean that it wasnt touched up before delivery!!!!!

find who those finger prints belong to and run them over with a car (not your stang you don't want blood stains on it), let CSI find who those prints belong tooo,

Dealer has Ford warranty guru's looking at it now...
Oh boy I get to drive a Ford 500.
Sticker of 33 grand for this Ford 500, no leather sucky stereo, wimpy engine... makes me kinda gland I got the GT.
It is the only other car that really fits me. Stock GT is pretty tight.

Guess now I just wait and see what they want to do. Perhaps a good buff will fix it.

CHCPMAN

Well the Guru's at Ford have authorized the repainting of the door and rear quarter panel.
They said it looked like a hose came loose in the paint booth and flapped on the car a few places.
I can only hope the finished product is up to par.
CHCPMAN

fingerprints ? what a bunch of idiots. I've got dirt in my paint on 5 spots - the size of a grain of sand - I decided I can live with it rather than take the chance of overspray, or poor paint touch up. I had my Corvette touched up before at the dealer and it was huge problem - so much so I got rid of the car because of the poor paint touch up. so all you people never use van chevy in tx for body work - a blind kid could do better.

Well the deed was done yesterday. Door and right rear quarter panel stripped and repainted/clearcoat. I must admit I cannot tell the difference it looks new and no more smudges.
Amazing what well equiped body shops can do in 6 hrs.

How long should I wait before I put some wax on it???

CHCPMAN

Back to happy camper again.

I'd wait AT LEAST 30-45 days before applying wax. You can polish it, just don't wax it yet.

I'm going through a similar situation with my car. The conrner of the spoiler has a chip about 3/4 of an inch. Its on the part of the spoiler that sits over the quarter panel, not over the decklid. Right below the chip, on the quarter panel, is a tiny spot that was touched up.

I didn't buy the car at my local dealership but was told that warranty issues can be handled at any Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership in the U.S. When I took my car in, the service maanger said that this is a dealer issue, not a warranty issue and that I would have to take it to the dealership that sold me the car.

I called my salesman to see if his dealership's service dept was willing to allow my local Ford dealership to inspect it and make a determination on what is to be done. He went up the chain of command but with no luck. I owe my salesman a debt of gratitude since he was genuinely concerned, but this is a messed up policy.

I want to call Ford directly but I don't know where to start. Can anyone offer any suggestions? A 1-800 number maybe?

Also, there were buffer burns on a few parts of my car (poor preparation) and I found 2-3 spots where there is dirt or what looks like a small piece of thread under the clearcoat (poor quality control at the factory).