• Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech

Tuning the 2005+

  • Thread starter Thread starter PSYKOSTEVO
  • Start date Start date Apr 16, 2008
P

PSYKOSTEVO

Banned
Apr 11, 2008
194
0
0
Apr 16, 2008
#1
  • Apr 16, 2008
  • #1
I have been tuning my 2005 GT with HPTuners for a few weeks now, and am happier each time with the results.

I am curious as to what changes you other guys are making in your tunes that have helped you out.

Thanks!
 
S

ski

Member
Dec 14, 2004
380
2
18
Apr 17, 2008
#2
  • Apr 17, 2008
  • #2
Switched from a canned Predator tune to BamaChips' Race tune. Night and day.
 
P

PSYKOSTEVO

Banned
Apr 11, 2008
194
0
0
Apr 17, 2008
#3
  • Apr 17, 2008
  • #3
Any idea what changes were made? Flashing your car is not quite the same as tuning it. I have to make all of the changes myself and actually write the tune out. Much like Bamachips had to do before they mailed you the tune you uploaded.
 
O

o0Dan0o

Founding Member
Feb 8, 2001
485
1
0
Apr 17, 2008
#4
  • Apr 17, 2008
  • #4
Maybe e-mail Bamachips or Brenspeed to see if they'll give you any tips.
Dan
 
P

PSYKOSTEVO

Banned
Apr 11, 2008
194
0
0
Apr 17, 2008
#5
  • Apr 17, 2008
  • #5
That is an option I guess, and it never hurts to get a NO. I was hoping that people in this community would actually know something about this stuff, but looks like the market is cornered. I did that for the Chevy Cobalt world, and I make a lot of business off of those tunes, but I was hoping to learn more about these S197s , including my own. Most of the tables I have figured out, but a few are not making sense to me.
 

SlideWRX

Member
Jan 8, 2007
126
1
16
Westland, MI
Apr 18, 2008
#6
  • Apr 18, 2008
  • #6
Yeah, the market is pretty much re-flash. I used to tune my WRX with a UTEC & laptop, and had a forum specificaly for others doing the same thing.

Apparently N/A cars on 93 octane can hit MBT (minimum best timing iirc) without problem, so ignition timing isn't quite the variable it was on my WRX. The Turbo would require pulling to 11ish at peak torque, and run up to 23-24 at redline. S197 A/F I've seen around on various dynoplots seems to be in the 12.5 area; 13 post cats.

The two things I'd like to see & learn about are changes to the VCT timing & when the CMCVs open.

Sounds like you are probably further into it than ignition and a/f already though.

Tom

edit: I've been reading up on that HPtuner, now that I've seen this. For the price I would have seriously considered it if I had seen it when shopping for my intake/tuner.
 
H

Hoboattacker

New Member
Sep 7, 2005
542
0
0
Baton Rouge (LSU) / Houston, TX
Apr 18, 2008
#7
  • Apr 18, 2008
  • #7
PSYKOSTEVO said:
That is an option I guess, and it never hurts to get a NO. I was hoping that people in this community would actually know something about this stuff, but looks like the market is cornered. I did that for the Chevy Cobalt world, and I make a lot of business off of those tunes, but I was hoping to learn more about these S197s , including my own. Most of the tables I have figured out, but a few are not making sense to me.
Click to expand...

Contact Eric Brooks (that's the screen name) on Modular Fords. He does his own custom tuning and actually tweaked some of the JDM tunes for his wifes Saleen S/C mustang. He would most likely be willing to help you out with any tuning issues or some tips and tricks.
 
P

PSYKOSTEVO

Banned
Apr 11, 2008
194
0
0
Apr 18, 2008
#8
  • Apr 18, 2008
  • #8
I'm really starting to feel like I got the hang of it, but could always use advice.

Does anyone else here us HPTuners to tune Fords?
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

R
Unidentified Ticking Noise
  • revised
  • Jul 5, 2026
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
148
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- Jul 11, 2026
MT94GT
M
C
New member from NJ
  • Calyp5.0
  • Sep 25, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
1
Views
67
The Welcome Wagon Sep 25, 2026
General karthief
M
93 5.0 Microsquirt with Stage 3 trickflow tuning issues
  • marxpreston11
  • Jun 22, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
  • 2 3 4
Replies
68
Views
2K
Digital Self-tuning Forum Sep 16, 2026
Qtrhrse23
Tunerstudio help / services
  • Kabuki_notch
  • Apr 26, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
2
Views
339
Digital Self-tuning Forum May 2, 2026
Mustang5L5
H
Aluminum timing chain guides ?
  • healy1963
  • May 5, 2026
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
135
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- May 5, 2026
healy1963
H
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?