Under drive pullies

SMOKEDYA

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 13, 2003
Tucson AZ
When you put under drive pullies on a stang, does the water pump pully go smaller,or larger then stock pully?Another question if it goes smaller the water pump turns slower then a stock pully would turn it correct?And one more question,all i have is water pump to crank and to alternator hooked up.So if i put a stock water pump pully on i wont loose any noticeable power correct? peace

john:p

• Sponsors (?)

When you put under drive pullies on a stang, does the water pump pully go smaller,or larger then stock pully?Another question if it goes smaller the water pump turns slower then a stock pully would turn it correct?And one more question,all i have is water pump to crank and to alternator hooked up.So if i put a stock water pump pully on i wont loose any noticeable power correct? peace

Here's my humble opinion and it may not help you out... Only do the crank pulley.

If you buy a set, the crank pulley will be smaller, the w/p and alt. pulleys will be larger.

A lot of people just do the crank as Strype said, but my daily driven 90 has all 3, with no cooling or charging problems. It should probably be noted that I have a 3 row radiator and a 3g 130A alt.

If you buy a set, the crank pulley will be smaller, the w/p and alt. pulleys will be larger.

A lot of people just do the crank as Strype said, but my daily driven 90 has all 3, with no cooling or charging problems. It should probably be noted that I have a 3 row radiator and a 3g 130A alt.

Highlited. That's the way it needs to be done, otherwise you can open a can of worms.

For most underdrive pulleys sets, crank pulley is smaller, w/p pulley is larger, and alt pulley is smaller.

In regards to accessory speed changes, think of an 18 speed mountain bike you might have had as a kid. On the pedal crank (driving sprocket), the smaller the sprocket, the faster you have to pedal to maintain the same speed. This is the same as the u/d crank pulley. It will turn all accessories slower.

For the rear wheel sprocket (driven sprocket), the larger the sprocket, the faster you have to pedal to maintain the same speed. This is the same as the u/d water pump pulley. It will turn slower than it would with the smaller, stock pulley.

The alt pulley is smaller to gain back some of the speed lost by using a smaller crank pulley.

My car with ASP u/d's, stock alt, stock radiator never had any problems with over heating or charging in Alabama summers. This was with a Taurus fan on low speed. Every car is different and some on here have had problems with u/d on stock setups. I have since upgraded to a 3G, 2 row alum rad, and have the fan capable of high speed via a DCC control.

as i do to. i have a griffen rad and 3 g conversion also. I'm gonna get a stock water pump pully then.peace

I had nothing but problems with the UD pulleys. Even just with a 4" crank pulley and a smaller alt pulley I still wasn't charging right at idle, with the A/C, 1200 watt amp, electric fan and headlights on. I also have a 6G 130 alt upgrade. Now with the stock crank pulley I'm 13.8 at idle with everything cranking.

I run only the crank and WP pulley. For the alt i run an ASP 1 7/8" Overdrive pulley to compensate. I'm also running a 3G 130A alt, and a 3-core radiator...no cooling or charging issues at all even with an SN95 e-fan

A lot has to do with how you drive. Do you spend a lot of time at idle or sitting in traffic? Do you run your AC? Do you run a lot of electrical accessories? What kind of cooling and charging system are you running?

I doubt you'll see any issues with cooling unless you sit in traffic with the A/C cranked on hot days.

Charging issues, if you are running a stock alternator, you already just about have a charging issue even stock.

My main concern with under drives was a slight cooling isssue.So to clear it up new pump dual electric fans griffin radiator.As far as my charging systm (not a concern tho) 3g convertion,never a problem till the POS optima red top had 3 dead cells in it. So back to my cooling dealio i knew this but never thought about checking it.My radiator cap is shot,i went and bought a new one today so i'll see how that helps for cooling. I dont hardly ever sit in traffic and i dont have A/C. peace