Unusual "what do you think of these mods" thread

Our Mustang just went from a weekend only car to an every day car because we sold an old car my wife was driving back and forth to work. She will now be driving the Mustang every day.

The issue is that once the car is warmed up when you start the car the idle will surge up and down and the car will die on you if you shift it into reverse or drive within the first minute or so. After you get moving the car will not die at stop lights and such while in gear. This won't work at all with the wife, and from what I've read it's probably related to the extra air flow the mods are bringing that I've done to the car. This weekend when she's out of town I have to fix it.

So here is what I'm thinking of doing, and tell me if you think this will solve my problems. Here are the mods:

GT40Y heads
Cobra intake
BBK equal length shorties
BBK 65 MM Tb
1.7 RRs
underdrive pullies
O/R H

While the surging could be because of a few different things, I refuse to take the heads off as a first step in a fix. Instead what I plan on doing is removing the 1.7 RRs and putting back on the stock 1.6 rockers, and trading the Cobra intake back for the stock intake. I'm thinking that these two things should fix a lot of the weird airflow issues that the PCM is probably seeing right now and get the car to idle properly.

I know this isn't the direction of mods that most people go, but reliability is more important than power at this point. I can just sell the Cobra intake and 1.7 RRs and start saving for my next vehicle anyway.

So, does anyone think there's going to be any driveability issues with a stock intake and GT40Y heads? The Cobra intake is supposed to be better flowing in the upper RPMs but I thought I read the stock intake flows better down low. If that's the case I think this might even be a good swap for a daily driver (it's a little soft down low right now). I'd swap the TB back to stock but I can't (the stocker was damaged when I removed it so I threw it away).

Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

i had this same problem up until a few weeks ago. i wish i could tell you the fix but i did a few things at once. upgraded valve springs, went from a 180* stat back to stock temp. replaced all the vacuum lines and pcv. cleaned maf and iac. i know for sure i was leaking oil from the back of the lower intake. i think the oil leak was also a vacuum leak and i think that might have been the problem. after putting everything back togther i was suppried the surging was gone. maybe pull the intake off and reseal it. your parts are not the problem but do what you have to do. i have a similar combo untuned and it starts up like it is stock now hot or cold.

Before you start yanking major parts off the motor :)

Ensure you don't have any v leaks or bad electrical connections

Make sure your iac is functioning as it should

Make sure your tb blade stop screw is within range

Make sure your tb bleed screw is within range

Check your dizzy setting

Basically ... make sure nothing simple is outta whack first ;)

Grady

Try cleaning the MAF. It has solved ALOT of folks problems. If you are not sure how, just do a search and you will find it. Make sure your intake bolts didn't loosen up. Happened to me once. Best of luck and let us know.