Update: oil pressure issue

mustang70

Founding Member
Nov 15, 2001
San Diego
I changed out my oil filter and put fresh oil in the engine. Once it warmed up I was between 15 and 20 psi at idle and 40-50 psi when driving around. I took it on the freeway and let it run out a little. When I got off the freeway the oil pressure was between 10 and 15 psi, but the same when I started driving again. So I don't think anything is seriously hurt, but I talked to my wife and I'm going to put off buying headers for it. When I getback next May I'll pull the motor out and take a good look at it. The worse I'll be out then will be some gaskets.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think you have a problem at all, unless you have a hi pressure oil pump. When you first start your car, you should have 30 -50 p.s.i. at the most. Once the oil is warm and the bearings have heated, 15-20 is not that abnormal. This can vary greatly depending on your bearing clearances, some will hold much more than others. If you are worried, I would start with replacing the sender and gauge before tearing an engine apart. If you do have a hi pressure pump, there is the possibility that it is sucking the oil pan dry and you need a larger oil pan.

I have a stock replacement pump. When it's cold the pressure is up around 50 psi at idle. Maybe I'll take the front cover off and see if I can find what's clicking then. Thanks guys.

Edit: It's an aftermarket mechanical gauge. No sending unit to worry about.

mustang70 said:
I changed out my oil filter and put fresh oil in the engine. Once it warmed up I was between 15 and 20 psi at idle and 40-50 psi when driving around. I took it on the freeway and let it run out a little. When I got off the freeway the oil pressure was between 10 and 15 psi, but the same when I started driving again. So I don't think anything is seriously hurt, but I talked to my wife and I'm going to put off buying headers for it. When I getback next May I'll pull the motor out and take a good look at it. The worse I'll be out then will be some gaskets.

Is that 10-15 psi at a higher rpm too?
if so then there is a problem there.

PB