Valve Spring Life

dustang50

Jan 12, 2006
Cleveland, OH
How long do the stock valve springs last? I have 63k miles & am just beginning to race my car, although it still sees more street than strip. I'd like to follow Killgore's lead & do some preventative maintenance before I run into any problems.

Is there anything else that I should be replacing to avoid problems down the road?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know the exact service life, but of any vehicle I've owned, I've never had to replace the valve springs, unless it was for something else, like a cam swap.

I would think with the stock cams you shouldn't have to replace them. Is there a specific reason you suspect them?

Soooooo many 200,000+ mile 4.6's on the road, It would be safe to say that you should never have to replace them for the length of time you own your car.....unless you plan on driving it right into the ground?

Gearbanger 101 said:
Soooooo many 200,000+ mile 4.6's on the road, It would be safe to say that you should never have to replace them for the length of time you own your car.....unless you plan on driving it right into the ground?
That's not the plan. Then again, I planned on keeping my car stock when I first got it, too.

I stick by my original post.. especially with only the mods you have listed. There are people running blowers & turbos with the stock valve springs with no problems.