VAPORLOCK

pinkmustang

Mar 2, 2019
Cincinnati
VAPORLOCK! Hello all, I hope I'm posting in the proper spot. I have a 65 pink mustang convertible (grandpa bought it new for grandma), 200 engine with 1 barrel carb. On a hot summer day, after driving 1 hour it quits running. Installed New mechanical fuel pump- no help. Installed fancy heat shield sleeve on fuel line from pump to carb- no help. Vapor lock or fuel percolating out of the carb? I would like to install an electric fuel pump back by the tank, to help the system out- anyone been here before? What brand fuel pump, where to locate it would be helpful! thanks in advance, Bill

• Sponsors (?)

Are you positive is vaporlock? Have you checked to make sure near the tank that the exhaust isnt close to the fuel line?
Another thing you might check is any filters. Over time junk gets in the tank (or rust) and forms a fine grit that will clog a filter/strainer when stired up.

Are you positive is vaporlock? Have you checked to make sure near the tank that the exhaust isnt close to the fuel line?
Another thing you might check is any filters. Over time junk gets in the tank (or rust) and forms a fine grit that will clog a filter/strainer when stired up.

Thanks for the reply! Pretty sure it's vapor lock- you can almost set your watch by the stall of the start/drive/stall of the car. I would think debris in the tank would not be so predictable. When it happens- spark is ok, no gas out of fuel pump. Fuel filter is part of the fuel pump on this beast, it was replaced when fuel pump was replaced. Exhaust is not too close to the fuel line.

If you suspect vapor lock try this. Remove the fuel line from the carb. Go to home depot or lowes and pick up some clear tubbing and a barbed double sided fitting. Install the clear line to the carb and watch. You should see air traveling through the line. Keep in mind the tube is not technically rated for fuels so keep an eye on it. Fuels today even with high ethanol still have a higher "flash " point for lack of better words and a higher quality. Vapor lock is still a think but we have found that the ethanol in todays fuels in most markets degrades the rubber fuel line from the inside out. They have a tendency to collapse on themselves under a vacuum and simply pinch off your fuel supply. Just a few things we have come across on the vapor lock issue on older cars, and generators etc.... Hope you find your issue..

Forgot to add that if you install a 12v pusher pump as close to the tank as possible and replace your rubber lines if they are older we typically eliminate fuel delivery issues. Pushing fuel is preferable to sucking fuel.... We buy the napa brand pumps for around 50 bucks..

I got a used walbro and added the biggest fuel filter I could find to act as a reservoir. My 66 runs outta gas at 1/3 tank because theres not enough fuel pressure from the outlet not being at the lowest point on the tank.

shem