• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

VT Cams installed... my opinions

  • Thread starter Thread starter chemojay
  • Start date Start date Jul 4, 2004
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
9

98SteedaStang

Member
Dec 11, 2002
382
0
16
Chicago Suburbs
Jul 19, 2004
#21
  • Jul 19, 2004
  • #21
So you went with the 270 grind? New springs too right? The VT are a more aggressive spring? I was debating between comp 270's and VT stage II's. I need to look up the numbers on both to better compare them.
 

nickthegenius

Active Member
Dec 23, 2002
1,631
1
38
Elwood, IN
Jul 19, 2004
#22
  • Jul 19, 2004
  • #22
I read the following quote:

98SteedaStang said:
Comp make 3 stages of cams for the PI 4.6 right? What stage do you have?
Click to expand...

as "Comp makes Stage 3 cams for the 4.6....blah blah blah"

So due to my temporary dyslexia, I responded to the use of the XE278AHs which everyone that I have read about on the boards that tried them have had p/v clearance problems with them due not so much because of the lift, but because of how long the are open with the long duration.

XE270AHs have had problems in quite a few engines also. Starkie and AutomaticWeapon both lost engines for various reasons and then found out when the pulled the engines apart that there was a clearance problem and didn't know about it.

I have the XE270AHs and am now interested in geting a borescope (sp?) to check out my own engine. I'm happy with the power I'm getting, but I want to make sure that there isn't an issue that I'm going to pay for later.
 

ProCharger GT

Member
Jun 3, 2004
153
0
16
Cleveland
Jul 19, 2004
#23
  • Jul 19, 2004
  • #23
some of you may have read my post about the crower cams.. turned out to be a bad grind on the cam; i have no PTV contact at all with a .612 lift and the crower springs/titanium retainers. what is the spec's on the XE270AH?
 
G

GinoGT

Founding Member
Aug 11, 2002
1,862
0
36
Jul 19, 2004
#24
  • Jul 19, 2004
  • #24
I believe the problem with the PTV contact with some SHM cams are because they grind their cams 5 degrees advanced. Sounds pretty stupid to me.
 
9

98SteedaStang

Member
Dec 11, 2002
382
0
16
Chicago Suburbs
Jul 19, 2004
#25
  • Jul 19, 2004
  • #25
I just wonder if I'll run into problem because of the headswap, I know I have very little PTV clearance now after the swap. You guys know anything about that?
 

nickthegenius

Active Member
Dec 23, 2002
1,631
1
38
Elwood, IN
Jul 19, 2004
#26
  • Jul 19, 2004
  • #26
98SteedaStang said:
I just wonder if I'll run into problem because of the headswap, I know I have very little PTV clearance now after the swap. You guys know anything about that?
Click to expand...

If you have a stock shortblock with flat-tops and will be running Comps PI style cams, you'll be SOL. The guys that are having problems have dished pistons so with flat-tops you'll have even less clearance. So you will either stick with one of the NPI grinds that Comp has or call them and see what they recommend.

ProCharger GT said:
what is the spec's on the XE270AH?
Click to expand...

Advertised duration 270/274
Duration @ .050 234/238
Lift .550/.550
LSA 113*

The problem with them isn't with the lift, but the combination of the longer duration and Comp Cams inclusion of a 5* advance ground into the cams. From what I read, this makes them a bit snappier off the line so it makes the gains feel even greater on the old butt-dyno but on a real dyno there isn't going to be much difference in peak hp between a cam with no advance and one with the 5* advance, but there might be a small shift in the powerband.
 
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
439
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
Engine Looking for suggestions and or ideas
  • PonyGTrider
  • Aug 25, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
460
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
PonyGTrider
K
Resolved Weird sound coming from a freshly rebuilt 5.0L
  • karhoot
  • Jun 24, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
285
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 27, 2026
Mac131
B
Help! Fox with idle issues
  • bbarton
  • Sep 11, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
194
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 12, 2026
AeroCoupe
L
Engine 85 GT Excessive Idle
  • lutzkecj
  • Sep 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
5
Views
194
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 21, 2026
86HO5.0
8
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?