wacky speedometer/service engine light

ken44ny

Oct 20, 2003
long island,ny
Having a problem.Had a gear upgrade 2 months ago.Today while driving,speedometer drops to 0,odometer shows(-------),traction control switch goes off(light comes on near switch),service engine light comes on.Anybody run across this before?

• Sponsors (?)

Jeez, thats alot of problems at one time. Sounds like a computer problem. Have you taken it to Ford or called them to see what they say? I'm not by any means the guy to give you an answer though. Hopefully someone will have something for ya.

MT1083 said:
Jeez, thats alot of problems at one time. Sounds like a computer problem. Have you taken it to Ford or called them to see what they say? I'm not by any means the guy to give you an answer though. Hopefully someone will have something for ya.
nah,not yet-just got home.they'll be closed.just suspicious about the rear gear job cause my speedometer was messed with in some manner

When you change the rear differential gears to a different ratio, the speedometer will be thrown off. However, if the odometer is reading blank, the SES light is on, and the speedometer drops to zero, you sound like your having an electrical problem. If the SES light is on, I recommend going to autozone and getting the codes pulled. That will help to pin-point the problem. As for the speedometer and odometer, I would check and make sure no one was screwing with your electrical system and instrument cluster.

Just what all exactly did you have done in this "gear upgrade" ?

MT1083 said:
Did all these problems occur after the install? I don't understand why that would screw with your odometer like that. :shrug:
i had the gear upgrade done in october.about 4 weeks ago it was acting strangely.went from 0-90.once car was shutoff and restarted,it went away,then today it did what i said.Probably will bring it in to ford under my warranty before spending money at autozone.I wanna make sure it has nothing to do w/ gear upgrade-dont want them voiding warranty over this