Wanted: Sparkplug Wire Recommendations for my 97 Cobra 4.6 32 valve

97_Cobra

Mar 17, 2006
Hello Everyone,

It is time to change the plugs and wires on my 1997 Cobra 4.6 32v. I have decided to use NGK plugs (narrowing down between TR55 V-power and TR55GP G-power plat.). But I don't know what wires to used. Does any one have recommendations on what to use? Or what not to use?

Thanks a ton!

~Erik

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 98 Cobra and I put a set of Taylor wires in it and they've been good to me so far, plus they look good. They're rather expensive but seem to be good. I was gonna get MSD wires but they were out of them and I think the stock wires are decent too, they're more of a custom fit. I had to do a little rerouting of a few of the wires to take up the slack. I'd steer clear of Duralast from Autozone!

plug wires

well ... i waited as long as i could.... replaced the spark plug wires while i replaced the alternator on my cobra today.... 187K miles...

i will say that the ford motorsport wires ... bought them from steeda years ago never put them on cause i couldnt find any wire looms to fit..... these babies are fat .... i went with the bosch plugs....

stangme said:
well ... i waited as long as i could.... replaced the spark plug wires while i replaced the alternator on my cobra today.... 187K miles...

i will say that the ford motorsport wires ... bought them from steeda years ago never put them on cause i couldnt find any wire looms to fit..... these babies are fat .... i went with the bosch plugs....

wow you got 187k out of your wires. thats impressive :nice: most of them fial and you get missfires well under 100k

Yeah ... I'm at 50K for miles ... I'm not sure how long the wires (stock) are good for. I see that the wires vary thickness. What thoughts do you have on that?

I hit 69k miles in my 97 cobra exactly a week ago and desided it was time for new plugs, (bought the car at 64k) anyways i did lots a research and desided to go with the denso iridium plugs, $13 each, but going from ngk iridium to denso, i could feel the difference.
I havnt gotten new plug wires yet but im thinking about msd 9mm if they have them.
Also u said ud gotten 50k miles rite? while i was changing mine, 2 of my plugs had oil on them, so i had to go to ford and i got new valve cover gaskets and spark plug seals, i cant remember the exact name but those ran me about $115, so keep that in mind if u find oil around the spark plugs.