Washington Initiative 908 - Remove Front License Plate

rogue109

May 29, 2005
Duvall, WA
Don't know if all you Washington residents saw this yet or not, but it may be something you are interested in.

http://www.secstate.wa.gov/elections/initiatives/text/i908.aspx

It's an initiative to get a bill up for election to remove the requirement for the front license plate in Washington state...I know I've been pulled over once already for not having a front plate on my '04 cobra, so they have my signature.

You can start your own petitions from the form here;
http://www.crownfox.com/i908.htm

Thanks,
Scott

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for bringing this back up.

Can anyone explain the process to someone new to the state? Where I'm from you don't get to do things like this -- all of your choices are basically made for you.

So what's the next step and what needs to happen to get people to vote on this?

We need 240,000 signatures (or 200,000 ... ?) in order for this initiative to be on the ballot.

If all the required amount of signatures are gathered, it's just up to the voters to pass it. Unfortunately it won't take effect for a while ... I'm eager to ditch my front plate.

i've ditched mine
i've ditched my brother's
i've ditched my jetta's

i got pulled over in the jetta. put the plate right back on

haven't had trouble in the mustang. surprisingly.

my bro hasn't had trouble either.

gonna take off my dad's plate and see if they notice.

tarch said:
i've ditched mine
i've ditched my brother's
i've ditched my jetta's

i got pulled over in the jetta. put the plate right back on

haven't had trouble in the mustang. surprisingly.

my bro hasn't had trouble either.

gonna take off my dad's plate and see if they notice.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: your hole family will hate you cause of the ticket's you created for them.............. but hey the cop's will love ya! peace

john

89MustangGX said:
Thanks for bringing this back up.

Can anyone explain the process to someone new to the state? Where I'm from you don't get to do things like this -- all of your choices are basically made for you.

So what's the next step and what needs to happen to get people to vote on this?

The citizen's initiative process in Washington is actually pretty cool. The initiative is filed with the Sectretary of State's office and the process begins. Before the next election, the intiative's supporters must collect a certain number of signatures of registered voters for the initiative to appear on the ballot. If they collect the required number of signatures that can be certified as belonging to registered voters, the initiative goes to a vote of the people and, if passed, becomes law. There is currently an initiative in the works to repeal the huge gas tax increase that the legislature just passed. www.nonewgastax.com I tried to find out exactly how many signatures of registered voters were needed for an initiative to appear on the statewide ballot, but came up empty. 200,000 is a fair guess though.

In case you haven't figured it out by now, registered voters is the operative phrase here. Unless you're a registered voter your signature on the petition means absolutely nothing. So get registered and be heard.

I don't live in Washington anymore because I'm military, but I'm still a resident and registered voter. Count me in. I've always hated the front plate. I didn't register my Bullitt in Washington because I didn't want to put holes in the front bumper. Maybe they could lower the registration costs a bit more if they don't have to make front plates.