• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Weird Idle Problem After Missing 3rd Gear.

  • Thread starter Thread starter JBman93
  • Start date Start date Oct 16, 2014
J

JBman93

New Member
Oct 15, 2014
3
0
1
Ormond Beach FL.
Oct 16, 2014
#1
  • Oct 16, 2014
  • #1
Ok guys I have an 89 GT. Cars idle was fine. Cold starts were good and only surged once in awhile after driving awhile and stopping at stops lights but didn't do it all the time. The car didn't have 02's so I put in a brand new harness and 02's. Started the car up and it drove much smoother. Then after 15 min of driving I punched it from a stop light racing a 370z and ended up missing 3rd gear and once I felt the rpm's shoot up I let off the gas then put it back in 3rd. The car immediately started driving weird like sputtering a lot. Drove it home and now every time I start it up the idle shoots up to 2000 rpm's and stays there? Will not come down unless I push in the clutch and hold it there. As soon as I let off the clutch it shoots back up. When I unplug the IAC it goes down to normal but stalls when driving. Cant even drive the car now. I bought a Motorcraft IAC and nothing changed. Replaced ECT and ACT temp sensors (super old) and still nothing. Installed new BAP sensor and installed a brand new fuel injector harness and cleaned female 10 pin connectors and still nothing. Checked all injectors and they are good. Put a new upper intake gasket in and that didn't do anything. Fuel pressure is still at 40 psi. For the sputtering problem I replaced plugs, wires, fuel filter,cap and rotor. It got better but still not perfect. But as far as the idle doing what its doing I'm at a loss. Just because I got on it and missed 3rd it does this?? Like I said, everything was pretty much good before this.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5.0l, Cobra intake manifold, 24lb FR injectors, 70mm TB, calibrated BBK maf, BBK longtubes, BBK CAI fender, BBK X pipe, MAC pro dumps, Cam(not sure which one) 1.72 rocker arms. MSD box. Electric fans.
 

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
27,512
2,813
234
Dublin GA
Oct 16, 2014
#2
  • Oct 16, 2014
  • #2
You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix.

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 159,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.
 

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
7,387
2,745
194
Kearney, NE
Oct 16, 2014
#3
  • Oct 16, 2014
  • #3
Wow! That was a lot of work to not ask for help first. Look up the list, read it a half dozen times before running all the tests, post the results and codes, then have a nice running car.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

7
Engine Random hanging idle
  • 706 Saleen
  • Feb 11, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
9
Views
742
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Feb 19, 2026
86HO5.0
8
M
Electrical 93 5.0 No Injector Pulse
  • machinermac
  • Jul 26, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
15
Views
384
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 1, 2026
Willybill32
B
Electrical Why does my fox body keep frying eecs
  • brandyn200
  • Jun 20, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
399
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 25, 2026
AeroCoupe
Engine Keeping O2 sensors lit with long tube headers
  • keel
  • Jul 30, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
215
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 21, 2026
Qtrhrse23
L
Engine 85 GT Excessive Idle
  • lutzkecj
  • Sep 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
5
Views
236
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 21, 2026
86HO5.0
8
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?