Went to the track last night -- Thursday

Pops Fun

10 Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hi,
Made 5 runs last night. A new best of 13.75 @ 99.25 mph with a 1.937 60ft. :D

My 60 ft got consistently better last night Yea..

Spinning my BFG DR's for a couple of feet off the line then they hook, does that sound right??

Steve

• Sponsors (?)

Don't you have a TFS H/C/I setup? If so...then something is absolutely killing your power. I ran 13.6 @ 100 on stock heads and cam. You should be at a minimum five-tenths and 5 mph faster than what you are running now.

Run down your whole combo for us, tell us where you are shifting at. We need more info.

94DreamGT said:
Don't you have a TFS H/C/I setup? If so...then something is absolutely killing your power. I ran 13.6 @ 100 on stock heads and cam. You should be at a minimum five-tenths and 5 mph faster than what you are running now.

Run down your whole combo for us, tell us where you are shifting at. We need more info.

Well here is my Combo:

TFS TW Heads Ported
Steeda 19 Cam
Cobra Intake Ported
FMS 65mm T/B
Pro-M 75MM MAF
Steeda 24# injectors
H&S 1.72 Roller Rockers
Mac Shorty Header
MSD 6al
Blaster coil
Walbro 255 LPH
High Flow Catted H-Pipe
Drag Radials
Cold Air Kit
Under Drive Pullies
Ford 3.73 Gear
Steeda Tri-Ax
Flowmaster Exhaust,
Tokico Shocks & Struts
Dyno tuned w/Chip

My shift points were erratic, mostly around 6000 rpm I was shifting into 4th gear just before the end of the 1/4 mile

Any help or suggestions welcomed. :D

R/T 0.866
60 1.937
330 5.666
1/8 8.833
MPH 78.250
1000 11.499
1/4 13.756
MPH 99.250

WhiteDevil said:
Is your car auto? Because i shift into 4th just past the 1/8th mile with my 3.73s. Also the times in my sig are with stock heads and cam.

No my car is a 5 speed, I think my tire size 325/50/15 might be hurting me :shrug: The stock tire rotates 785 times in a mile and the 15" dr rotates 720 times. Think that could be some of it ???

Steve

Pops, while doing your calcs I ran into a slight inconsistancy on your peak data. Below in the graphic is a method I use to map out the rpm vs torque info on dyno curves and you'll see that the info entered in the rpm sheet that uses the industry standard for HP derived from torque is ~272RWHP vs your dyno printout of 281 - which was supposed to corrected SAE already. Small inconistancy and I think I was very close on the numbers I entered in the Excel sheet. I also noticed that my combo averages 204RWHP and 284RWTQ wheile yours averaged 198RWHP and 269RWTQ. I firmly believe this is due to the Steeda cam, which loves rpm to make power which is also reflected in your torque curve.

I'm sure your not gonna tear it down just to make a cam change, but I think the cam is masking the true potential of your combo.

Edit: Had to shrink the graphic

I would either pay Buddy Rawls to model the "right" cam and then look for an OTS cam to match closely or pay him or EDC to spec and supply you a custom. Buddy's advice on how to install my stock cam was excellent!

Tom:

I question the accuracy of your shift point calculator. You showed me that same excel spreadsheet based on my dyno graph and not only do I doubt shifting into 4th at such a low RPM which my horsepower is still climbing (I am aware shift points are heavily influenced by the torque curve), but I entered my graph into other optimum shift point caluclators and yours was very different. You show the same thing to Steve and I just want to know where you got that analyzer from.

Steve:

Your problem is extremely puzzling to me. Only thing I can think of right now is that you have a problem residing in a vacuum leak, A/F problem, or possibly your cam was installed incorrectly. Nothing makes sense, except that you are definitely down on power.

Jeremy

Hi,
Just weighed my car today 3677# with me. :( Using the calculators on the net they show about the correct E.T. within a couple tenths.
Also the dyno was done with stock (4) cats on the exhaust, since then I put on High flow cats, so have added a few more HP. Maybe 390rwhp or so?? Any way I think there is more power there also.

Steve

94DreamGT said:
Tom:
I question the accuracy of your shift point calculator. You showed me that same excel spreadsheet based on my dyno graph and not only do I doubt shifting into 4th at such a low RPM which my horsepower is still climbing (I am aware shift points are heavily influenced by the torque curve), but I entered my graph into other optimum shift point caluclators and yours was very different. You show the same thing to Steve and I just want to know where you got that analyzer from.
Jeremy

It's not really a calculator that tells you exactly where to shift, you gotta use your brain, so I don't know what you mean by it's not accurate. What it does calculate is the rpm change when shifting through certain entered trans gear ratios. The differential is a constant in final drive ratio in the equation as it does not change from gear to gear. I don't know what you use for shift strategy, but I try to keep the car near the peak torque after the shift, as long as I DON'T have to wind TOO far into the far side of the HP curve to get there after the shift and I try to go through the traps as near peak HP as possible. What's your use and strategy? And I made the spreadsheet as well as some others that are very handy - how do you like em Pops?

Pops - I think with this car the way it is you could get some low 13s with good tuning, traction and driving, maybe even a click into the 12s if you got everything right and drove it like you hated it. But I still think the cam is at least one thing that is not optimum.

tmoss:
Thanks for the calculator, I think it my driving that needs to improve. Here are the times I ran last night:http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.steveh/mustang/6_27_track.html
I'll keep in mind the coment, "drove it like you hated it" That might be part of the problem. I agree the cam is probable the weak link. Next week is another week and I will try again. The shift points made me watch my tach closer (stock tach) and I kept to the points on the calculator pretty close. Thanks again :) Edit: I think the tire size might affect the shift points :shrug: I will look into that. Someone mentioned with the tire size I might be better off with 4:10's or changing tires (cheaper) :)

94DreamGT:
I think I just need more practice at the track. The cam was set dot to dot, the car runs/idles good on the street and the A/F was set on the dyno. :shrug:

jtkz13:
Great times jtkz13 keep it up..

As I have said driving is part of it. I am still trying to decide what to do. Just having Fun.

Steve