• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

What A Bad 8" Looks Like

  • Thread starter Thread starter n8rfastback
  • Start date Start date Feb 8, 2015
N

n8rfastback

Member
May 28, 2014
135
7
18
Feb 8, 2015
#1
  • Feb 8, 2015
  • #1
Tore my housing down today and found some nasty bits in it.

Havent had it open before. Pulling it to rebuild with better gear ratio and locker.









Nate
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,436
8,390
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Feb 8, 2015
#2
  • Feb 8, 2015
  • #2
How on Earth did it chip way out on the ends of the teeth that way ?
 
N

n8rfastback

Member
May 28, 2014
135
7
18
Feb 8, 2015
#3
  • Feb 8, 2015
  • #3
I think it just wore down so far the pressure was mostly on the ends of the teeth and thats when they started shearing. It wasnt even making any noise or anything....
 

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
7,387
2,745
194
Kearney, NE
Feb 15, 2015
#4
  • Feb 15, 2015
  • #4
Denture cream will not fix those teeth! How could it have not been making lots of noise?
The pinion support (bearing, crush collar or shims) must be awful to have engaged the ends of the ring. Or was the differential so loose that it could slide back so far? Further diagnosis will be interesting. That is just not supposed to happen.
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,436
8,390
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Feb 15, 2015
#5
  • Feb 15, 2015
  • #5
That is what i was wondering ,the pinion rides or is supposed to ride in the center of the ring gear teeth.

 
N

n8rfastback

Member
May 28, 2014
135
7
18
Feb 15, 2015
#6
  • Feb 15, 2015
  • #6
It had some slack in it for sure. It was not making noise though. All the bits were down in the oil, and no magnet in there anywhere either. I'm really surprised it didn't blow up years ago. The axle bearings and seals were WAY sloppy though.
 

tos

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2001
896
68
59
Cincinnati Ohio
Feb 16, 2015
#7
  • Feb 16, 2015
  • #7
Looks like it was setup wrong from the start. Shouldn't be breaking out on the edge no matter how worn it is.
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,436
8,390
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Feb 16, 2015
#8
  • Feb 16, 2015
  • #8
I have seen them burn the center of the ring gear ,usually from running out of oil .I have seen pinions with chipped teeth .Usually when you find teeth broken off it is the spiders .
 
N

n8rfastback

Member
May 28, 2014
135
7
18
Feb 16, 2015
#9
  • Feb 16, 2015
  • #9
Its been run like that for at least 13 years, and was ford parts inside, I dont know what the rear is out of but its not original to my stang and I'm sure its never been rebuilt
 
N

n8rfastback

Member
May 28, 2014
135
7
18
Feb 18, 2015
#10
  • Feb 18, 2015
  • #10
I pulled the axle seals today and they were ford axle seals. In very bad shape as well.
 
N

n8rfastback

Member
May 28, 2014
135
7
18
Feb 19, 2015
#11
  • Feb 19, 2015
  • #11
I put the new axle seals in today and got the third member bolted up. I replaced all the old nuts with nylock nuts and used permatex for diffs. Gonna let it set up over night and then tomorrow some time ill fill her up and get my wheels back on. Cant wait to test drive it!
 

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
7,387
2,745
194
Kearney, NE
Feb 20, 2015
#12
  • Feb 20, 2015
  • #12
We're the shims all ok? How did it measure out? Did it dale a lot of new shims?
 
N

n8rfastback

Member
May 28, 2014
135
7
18
Feb 20, 2015
#13
  • Feb 20, 2015
  • #13
I had a shop put set up the new gears so I'm not sure really. I test drove her today and the rear is so quiet now. I guess I didnt notice how noisy its been the last 15 years... lol
 
N

n8rfastback

Member
May 28, 2014
135
7
18
Feb 21, 2015
#14
  • Feb 21, 2015
  • #14
Well I test drove it a couple times the last 2 days. I'm very impressed. The new 3.55 gears are an awesome ratio for the 5 speed. I have been easy on it though cause its very cold out and I need to break in the gears and the locker. The powertrax manual says it'll be noisy the first 50 miles or so, and when its cold out and the gear oil is cold. The locker works well, its very loud right now but I'm sure when it warms up after break in itll be fine.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Salvage/rebuilt title question
  • djj62478
  • Oct 2, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
102
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Oct 2, 2026
DadLife0724
Drivetrain Broken clutch cable- what it looks like
  • JulianR
  • Aug 6, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
642
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 10, 2026
gkomo
J
2004 Mustang 3.8L V6 vibrations above 65 MPH and differential leaks
  • joeybuddy96
  • Mar 16, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
850
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 29, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
Fox won't crank over and fuel pump won't kick on.
  • djj62478
  • Jun 7, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
522
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 11, 2026
General karthief
Cooling Jacket Pitting Idea's?
  • BoostedRed89gt
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
12
Views
268
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 17, 2026
Mustang5L5
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?