• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

What did I do wrong? (at the track)

  • Thread starter Thread starter silvrgt
  • Start date Start date Apr 11, 2005
S

silvrgt

New Member
Dec 2, 2004
97
0
0
Baltimore, MD
Apr 11, 2005
#1
  • Apr 11, 2005
  • #1
The best I could do was a 14.6@96mph with a 2.100 60ft. I'll type out the whole slip soon.
 
S

silvrgt

New Member
Dec 2, 2004
97
0
0
Baltimore, MD
Apr 11, 2005
#2
  • Apr 11, 2005
  • #2
BTW, the car is a stock 2002 GT mustang 5 speed.
 
D

duece1019

New Member
Aug 27, 2004
26
0
0
mass
Apr 11, 2005
#3
  • Apr 11, 2005
  • #3
you need some practice and some mods.
 

JonJon

Founding Member
Aug 16, 2002
4,801
1
68
back in Marylands
Apr 11, 2005
#4
  • Apr 11, 2005
  • #4
Track conditions (elevation, weather), shifting, it could be a bunch of things.
 
D

D.K

Founding Member
Jun 17, 2002
1,011
0
36
MD
Apr 11, 2005
#5
  • Apr 11, 2005
  • #5
How were you shifting, and what RPM were you shifting at? If you were shifting at redline, you might want to try shifting a little earlier...like around 5500 or so.

Your 60ft isn't bad for street tires, though it could be better.
 

Mirrahasmycar

New Member
Apr 2, 2005
210
0
0
CT
Apr 11, 2005
#6
  • Apr 11, 2005
  • #6
you'll want to shift at the peak hp, a shift light can help with that, practice shifting, you don't loose much time at all shifting unless its an all out racecar, you might want to pick up the slack in the Accelerator pedal (how to do this ) you might not get WOT without doing that, get a few mods like exhaust, intake, ect as far as you want to go, you might also want to work on your reaction time
 

JonJon

Founding Member
Aug 16, 2002
4,801
1
68
back in Marylands
Apr 11, 2005
#7
  • Apr 11, 2005
  • #7
Don't bother with reaction time until you are comfortable with everything else. It doesn't add to ET and it just makes you nervous trying to cut a good RT for no reason.
 

topless98gt

Adhesive Feces
Mar 31, 2005
182
0
17
Arlington, TX
Apr 11, 2005
#8
  • Apr 11, 2005
  • #8
JonJon said:
Don't bother with reaction time until you are comfortable with everything else. It doesn't add to ET and it just makes you nervous trying to cut a good RT for no reason.
Click to expand...
He's right, because once you hit the reaction sensor, the timer starts for your track time
 
S

silvrgt

New Member
Dec 2, 2004
97
0
0
Baltimore, MD
Apr 11, 2005
#9
  • Apr 11, 2005
  • #9
My R/T on that run was .516. I shift right before redline. I was thinking about trying to shift a little sooner, too. I was loosing out on the far side of the track I think because I was babying third gear. I think if I can get in third quicker I think I'd run faster. And I definitely need to go harder on my launch. I was cruising off the line. The car still has alot left in it. I just wanted some feedback.
 
J

Jason@AFR

Member
Aug 9, 2004
58
0
6
California
Apr 11, 2005
#10
  • Apr 11, 2005
  • #10
What kind of air were you in? I have 2 tracks that I regularly raced at, being pretty consistent at my local track with a 5500 ft. D.A. and a "Not so good" surface would go 14.6 went to the other track that had a D.A. below sea level a really nice surface and went 13.9 no other changes and only a week later. Jason
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Need help ordering a oil cooler and filter relocation kit but don't know what I need
  • Aiden Brown
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
77
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Sep 14, 2026
squeak93
Distributor installed wrong
  • djj62478
  • Jun 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
270
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 21, 2026
CAMTWO1070
Drivetrain Broken clutch cable- what it looks like
  • JulianR
  • Aug 6, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
632
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 10, 2026
gkomo
3.08 gears with a manual trans
  • limp
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
43
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Qtrhrse23
Electrical Need help identifying what these electrical items are (93 LX 5.0)
  • dan50
  • Apr 11, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
266
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 12, 2026
dan50
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?