What does this scratch tell you? Potential purchase.

ChaseRoads

do I need to lube this area?
Oct 29, 2020
midwestern america
Been on the hunt for a fox GT convertible. Found what seems like a pretty nice one. Was told about a scratch on the door. The pic is below. It’s deep enough it’ll for sure need a professional repair. My concern is the way it’s lifting on the sides. Makes me think the new ( about a year old) paint will lift.

Attachments

• 5095BFD3-42DB-4920-A73B-EC1D43D7186C.jpeg
    5095BFD3-42DB-4920-A73B-EC1D43D7186C.jpeg
    527.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Sponsors (?)

Look at where the front fascia bolts to the fenders, is the line crisp or was it painted with the front cover still bolted to the fender? That will be another place the re-paint will chip.
i can't tell you anything about that scratch, I can tell it's deep.

Looks like they taped off the belt molding when they refinished it. There is a hard tape line there. If they did that on a part that is easily removable, I doubt they took anything else off the car when they painted it.

Last edited:
My guess is that there is a bodywork problem under that - perhaps it has rust beneath it, or trapped moisture that caused it to pop/fissure. Either way, to fix it correctly it needs to be taken all the way down, fixed, and blended back into the rear quarter panel.

Reactions: 1 users
My guess is that there is a bodywork problem under that - perhaps it has rust beneath it, or trapped moisture that caused it to pop/fissure. Either way, to fix it correctly it needs to be taken all the way down, fixed, and blended back into the rear quarter panel.
while I agree with what you say let me give you my observations on fixing repaints: most hide poor body work and attempting a 'spot fix' in a lot of cases turns into a mess, now this is my feelings and there has been cases of successful paint repair, again I'd strip a repaint to bare metal or at least to the factory primer.
I don't do paint and body work per se, I did grow up around a body shop and did mechanics on restorations.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally wouldn't let that be a deal breaker if you really like the car and it's what you want. As mentioned, so long as the price reflects repair of that door (strip, refinish and blend work). Good luck

• Agree
while I agree with what you say let me give you my observations on fixing repaints: most hide poor body work and attempting a 'spot fix' in a lot of cases turns into a mess, now this is my feelings and there has been cases of successful paint repair, again I'd strip a repaint to bare metal or at least to the factory primer.
I don't do paint and body work per se, I did grow up around a body shop and did mechanics on restorations.

Yes, you are correct.

The order of operations would be to sand down the damaged area. If there is old filler, it gets removed down to the metal. Assuming the dent isn't too deep to require metal work, then new filler is applied and the area is primed. At this point, the door and rear quarter are sanded entirely with 600-800 grit, then color is blended from the repair into the center of the door, and back into the quarter panel. Once the color is done, then the entire quarter and door are cleared.

Given the location, I don't think you could successfully blend the repair into the remaining color on the door without it appearing to mismatch on the quarter panel.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
use a magnet when looking at vehicles and remember two things 1) there are no perfect cars 2) there is always a reason the car is for sale
if you like it, can afford it - go for it ... it will need work down the road, so prepare for it

• Agree