What is the highest oil weight you can put in your 4.6L ?

Killa

Jul 9, 2007
my car 146k miles. burn oils I beleive it had bad ring, i try 10w/40 maxlife with lucas and it do a great exelent job for about 1k miles, then start burn oils again, Im about using 15w/40 Delo 400 without lucas ( lucas suck ). or M1 20w/50. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

My dad has a problem with oil comsumption on his 5.4 van. After trying everything: new pcv, FL-820S Motorcraft OEM filter, thinner oil, thicker oil, NOTHING seemed to help.

Finally we said $crew it and started using M1 15-w50 and it helped significantly.
Although these mod motors shouldn't be run on oils thicker than 10-w30 due to tight clearances in the heads, dad's van is running very strong with 200k on the clock.(started using M1 15-w50 at 140k)

Another interesting tidbit of info I found out on the forum I use for my Expedition(also 5.4) is that FoMoCo changed the oil viscosity requirements for all modualr V-8s produced from 1991 to present to 5-w20.

Yet another interesting thing is that my Expedition with almost 100k uses no noticeable oil(M1 5-w30) between changes.

Just my 0.02 cents.:shrug: Good Luck!

thanks guy. should I still stick with fl820s with m1 15w50 ? or wix filter ? I look inside wix filter it look like dont have that anti-drain valve , it look like stray filter.

Start looking for a new engine or get a rebuild because its on its way out. and stay away from wix filters they arent very good stick with the motorcraft.

I disagree. Wix are better than motorcraft. They are in the K&N and Mobil 1 league. I have a very extensive comparison article that includes them and many other filters.

I disagree. Wix are better than motorcraft. They are in the K&N and Mobil 1 league. I have a very extensive comparison article that includes them and many other filters.

No filter I have tried matches the Motorcraft in keeping engine racket to a minimum during cold start. While those filters may have superior media (e.g. finer filtering or whatever), none I've tried seem to be able to match the Motorcraft anti-drainback valve effectiveness, for whatever reason.

As for oil thickness, I don't buy the notion that you can't run thicker oil in these engines because the modular allegedly runs tighter clearances. It's a mass-production piston engine, not a Swiss watch movement. Piston and journal bearing clearances are industry standard stuff. Ford recommends running water -- er 5W20 -- in the crankcase purely for fuel economy.

No filter I have tried matches the Motorcraft in keeping engine racket to a minimum during cold start. While those filters may have superior media (e.g. finer filtering or whatever), none I've tried seem to be able to match the Motorcraft anti-drainback valve effectiveness, for whatever reason.

The filter media (paper) is packed tighter in Motorcraft and Pure One so they do filter better but they tend to clog and have flow issues. The WIX have a cotton media that prevents flow problems.