Roush What is your opinion on the retro style fad

marcus95 said:
Here is a new concept I hope gets produced. Will be waiting a while though.
0602_mjd_chevy_camaro_01_900.jpg

marcus95 said:
lgndracer,
Sorry for the hijack.

s351rspeedster said:
Wow!!! What a shocker, a retro style Camero?? I think the car industry is going through the same trend as the movie industry.....NO NEW IDEA'S!!!! Have you noticed the number of pre-quel, sequels or remakes of movies within the last couple of years??? Hollywood has ran out of idea's for new movies. Now the automobile industries is following suit. Give me something cutting edge and exciting.....but not as drastic as the F250 Super Chef Concept:
2006_ford_f250_super_chief_concept-1.gif
Are you joking me....That concept truck should be :ban:
Me too.... Marcus, lets start our own "What is your opinion on the retro style fad" thread

OK, I started this thread so we wouldn't continue to hijack lgndracer thread about the S331 on the saleen website.....so as the thread title says, What's your opinion on the retro style fad the auto industry is going through and what "concept" vehicles do you like/dislike/would like to see produced??

We know Marcus's opinion on the 69, I mean 07 chevy camero. We know my thoughts about the subject..........

• Sponsors (?)

I thinks its pretty cool seeing Chevy come back with the Camaro but i have to say the new Dodge Challenger concept car is pretty awesome. GM and Chrysler would like to grab some of the spotlight that Ford has. Lets face it we need the american automobile manufactures to stay alive.:D

I think the first real retro success was the PT Cruiser. The Plymouth Prowler had some following yet too impractical for your everyday driver.

From there came the Ford T-Bird which was, in my opinion, a flop considering Ford ended the run on the reborn retro model after three short years.

The Chevy SSR seems like a mixed bag, tons of power yet one of the heaviest convertibles currently manufactured.

The 300C (semi-retro hot rod look) and Dodge Charger have done well. Then you have the Mustang which was a home run for Ford. Ford previously tested the waters with retro's when they introduced the Mach 1 and Bullit Mustang. Both are great looking cars (My opinion is obviously biased). Chevy now steps up to bat with the Camaro, and Dodge with the Challenger.

Pontiac brought back the GTO which has the performance numbers, just lacking in the agressive looks dept. It would be interesting to see if Pontiac tries it's luck with the Firebird again.
Did I forget any? If so, maybe someone can add a few to this post....

The bottom line is that if the manufacturer gets it right, these cars can be just the right item to entice new buyers as well as previous customers who may have owned or admired the original models. If it doesnt come across the right way, it can be disaster.

I'm still adjusting to the looks of the new Mustang. I own an '02 and although it's roots date back to the late 70's fox body, I am very pleased with the styling. I'm sure at some point I'll make the jump to the new retro look, just not there yet.
:SNSign:

I personally like the retro styling, except for the Saleen's. Sorry, flame away, but I think if you compare the looks of the 04 to the 05 Saleen there is no competition. The 04 is agressive and really "pops". The 05, to me atleast, is boring to say the least. Sorry, but Saleen took a step back in my opinion.

Now, regarding the regular GT and the Camaro/Challenger concepts, I think they are awesome! Then again, the two magazines I get are 5.0 and Popular Hotrodding. PH pretty much showcases what they call G-Machines (pro-touring), which are 60-70's muscle cars with newer engines and suspensions. I love the concept. If I didn't have the Saleen, I'd definately go this route. So, it's no wonder I like the retro-styling so much...

I'm actually pretty happy to see some more american muscle cars coming back. That'll give me more cars to spank on the streets - the Japanese & European cars are boring and not worth my gas and tire tread.

On a serious note, though, the Camaro looks pretty good except for the cheesy front grille & 22 inch wheels (Geese!). And the Challenger looks pretty cool and kinda' mean/intimidating. I'd never buy either of the cars, but they look pretty good. Looking at the proposed displacement of the cars has me bummed. I wish I could get a Mustang (other than the new Cobra) with that kind of displacement.

Anyhow, I'm glad to see the retro look coming into style. The other american muscle cars were starting to look like sports cars with no hint of muscle (i.e Viper, Corvette, Charger).

All I can say is bring it on because our Mustangs/Saleens set the standard that everyone else is trying to follow.

I like the Camaro more then the challenger, the frontend of the challenger looks strange to me. But like the mustang concept, what actually makes it to production will be nowhere near as bold. The mustang concept was badass, the production car was boring to me.

I do like the retro style though. I think if they are going to bring the camaro and challenger back they should have some retro lines to them. The dodge charger sucks because it in no way represents its heritage. They even have one that says "Daytona" on the side. Ouch. Chrysler has gone way overboard with the hemi thing too, IMO.