What's it take to "Track" a car?

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
Barber Motorsports park is a beautiful facility. It's so close to my house that I can hear the week end events the track hosts sitting on my deck on a Sunday. The Porsche Driving experience is hosted by that track, the Honda Indy Gran Prix, and numerous motorcycle events run there rain or shine most every week end.

Driving the BMWs like I do, I'm seriously considering taking the monster there and running some laps. From what little I have learned, I should be able to get into there to do that on any weekend that they have a sportsman level event as long as the monster will meet the tech requirements, and I have a helmet.

At the same time, I know that I can drive a BMW as well as I can partially because the car is full of the current technology to make up for my actual lack of driving skill. ( ABS, DSC, T/C) None of which the Monster has.

I talk with BMW customers that regularly take their cars out there, and they are routinely wasting 2000.00 worth of Pirelli rubber because of it.

Which brings me to the questions..

Will I have to have softer tires, or can I go there with street rubber like the Sumitomo HTZ crap that is currently on the monster?
What wear and tear items are gonna be suspect? This car has Cobra brakes, but nothing better than stock SN 95 stuff. The struts up front are stock KYB Gas adjusts, with very soft 175# springs, and the rears are Strange single adj coil overs, with equally soft 125# rears...

On one hand I'd like to see if I get the bug to do this more regularly, but I don't want to go out and dump a bunch of money into upgrading the monster to full road race spec just to be able to find out. On the other hand, I'd really, really, really hate to wad that car up because I pushed it too hard into a corner with street level stuff...
On the third hand,...maybe I should just stay in my lane, and keep the monster off of the track altogether.

• Sponsors (?)

All you need is a good running car. Brakes are the most important thing. They will fade if they don't have good quality fluid and pads that are better than Autozone discount. Tires should be in decent shape, but certainly don't have to be good sticky tires. In fact, there will be less wear and tear on the car with less capable tires. Your car won't be as fast, but it's safer to have your fun a little slower. Your mini would be a blast BTW.
If (when) you get the bug, I always recommend safety first. Get your safety stuff together (race seats/harnesses/roll bar) before you start upping power and burning up Hoosiers.
When you get to the point that sliding the car is normal, you will have gained the knowledge through doing it and being around others who have been there to know what you need to do to the car.

I started taking this car to the track bone stock, cheap autozone brake pads and all. Over the last 10 years, it's gone through 4 iterations from stock, to trackable street, to streetable track, to full race.

Attachments

• Miata.jpg
    Miata.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Obviously brake pad and fluid is going to be at the fore front of things to worry about but if it were me. I would just bring the car out there and wing it. See how it reacts and see how you feel with it. Then with that you have a solid baseline on where the cars at and how many pairs of under pants you'll need next time.

If possible, turn all the driver assist stuff off on a BMW next chance you get and see how it feels. Then turn it back on and compare the experience and the lap times...

The two driving experiences will tell you how well you will do in a strictly drive it yourself car...

All depends on what type of track racing you are doing, but for your typical HPDE day, just the normal maintenance items really need to be done. I'd cut your teeth on the street tires you have first, then if you like it, look at upgrading. You don't have to go crazy either, we run Falken Azenis on our lemons car and they work just fine. Not the fastest tire, but they are a good value IMO. Make sure you have:

1. Fresh brake fluid (I like to run the synthetic DOT3 Valvoline, works just fine for and is cost effective to change after every race).
2. Good brakes. I would change over to a more track oriented pad just for safety's sake. I had good luck with the EBC yellow stuff pads on my AX Cobra car back in the day.
3. Good helmet (I run a pyrotect helmet - SN2015)
4. Decent pair of shoes (driving shoes are the best, especially once you try to heal-toe and rev-match) but any sneaker will do.
5. Decent pair of gloves. I like driving gloves since they help me grip the wheel better, not necessary, just nice.
6. Whatever safety items the track/organization will require you too have (cotton undershirt, ect ect)
7. Make sure all your suspension items are in good working order. You don't need anything fancy for your first couple times out on the track, just make sure nothing is loose.
8. Small fire extinguisher in the car (5lb)
9. Make sure your battery and any other items in the car are tied down securely. Remove the floor mats before going out.
10. Fresh fluids (Engine oil, rear, coolant). I usually just run straight water on the track with some water wetter for corrosion prevention purposes.
11. Some way of holding yourself in the seat. If you have side bolsters, great, but you will still move around. A harness is best, but the old twist the stock seatbelt to hold you in the seat works well.

Best advice I can give you, have an instructor go out with you to give you pointers on your first event. They can teach you braking zones, lines through the corners, surface changes, ect that would take you many track events to identify. You're not going to be the fastest the first time you go out. Start off slow and learn the car, put it into corners hard (when you know you have an out) and judge how the car reacts. If you have the opportunity, go do an autocross event first. That will really teach you the limits of your car at a much slower speed. Take your time and build up your confidence and skill.