Whats my towing capacity range gonna be on my 03gt in theory

MustangLife

Jan 5, 2003
Chattanooga, TN
Allright we all know mustangs towing capacity is 1,000 pounds. Is this for V6's. GT's, or Cobras. When manufacturers determine a towing capacity. The factors that come in are weight of the vehicle, springs,shocks/struts, heavier sway bars. HP and Torque, tranny (auto or manual), axle ratios, braking, etc.

I'm starting my own landscaping business & on a tight budget. So can't spend the money right now on a dependable truck because money is going into advertising, supplies, equipment, etc. I don't have another option as for a vehicle right now. So I gotta throw a trailer hitch and tow this small utility trailer.

I'm looking at wanting to tow 1200-1500 pounds before I got the money on yards to get a decent truck.

In theory with what determines a cars towing capacity mine should be a little higher than 1,000 pounds right? Eibach springs, 4.10 axle, Around 260-265 rwhp and some could torque.

Thanks in advance. I really need help with this.

Josh

• Sponsors (?)

Not trying to be an ass, but sometimes you need to make sacrifices and there really is only one realistic option and that is to trade the stang for a truck Straight up. Find the most truck you can trade into without spending money. I would not consider towing that much in a stang and thinking of it as "reliable" transportation, because you're probably going to blow that tranny or whatever else might be the weakest link for that duty.

There are millions of stangs out there to choose from, there's no reason you can't just buy one in a few years once your business has taken off.

In the case of the mustang, power and torque are not the problem. Think more about the light weight rear end. Just putting 75lbs of sand in my trunk, I can see the rear noticably squats down.

Can you tow more? Of course. But it won't be 'legal' or smart. I'm sure the stock cooling system, engine and transmission are all up to the task, but your car doesn't weigh much and there isn't much of a rear suspension to tow safely. I think it will become a permanent thing instead of just a few months, so you should probably beg, borrow, steal or trade for a truck.

If you really want to be able to do this reliably in your Mustang, the best thing I could suggest would be some adjustable rear control arms like the ones I have with stock springs on them, paired up with some air shocks. After all of that, the car will handle like the Flintstone mobile, but should handle that kind of trailer no problem. At the very least, you'd be able to deflate the air shocks down to stock ride height when you aren't towing the trailer.

I'd say the best option would be to trade straight up for a nice pickup, then once you get some cash together, throw a down payment on a 2011 5.0:nice:

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at only a month of trailer towing with my mustang. But trading it in is not an option because of time & money I have into. From the mods in sig to interior and exterior mods and stereo. It just has to much sentimental value to me. I bought it new in November of 02, been through 20 states with it, had sex numerous times in it. Its just my baby so I can't let it go

I'm just really wanting to make sure that with my mods pulling 1400 or pounds could equal out to a bone stock mustang pulling 1000 pounds. In my head theory it makes sense to me.

1. Stock Mustang can pull 1,000 pounds according to Ford

2. My mustang with Eibach springs, aftermarket upper/lower control arms, 4.10, Aftermarket water pump & thermostat and cooling fans programmed to come on 20-30 degrees sooner, hawk break pads, etc etc. These mods should be able to account for 300 or 400 more pounds of towing capacity right. I do have some extra weight in my trunk. Two 12's fosgate p3's.

I know I really need a truck and probaly could get 1 in the near future but I need to make money now, tomorrow, yesterday with times like they are. I'm sure some of you have been in my shoes.

Again though. I'm looking at maybe a month on doing this with my Mustang.

Thanks again
Josh

It will probably make it a month... you really would want to swap in some beefy springs out back to make sure it doesn't weigh the rear of the car down. However, just remember... once you get the load to 1400-1500 lbs, you're towing almost half the weight of the car. It will have a lot of say over how and where your car goes when it is on the road. It is not the absolute worst idea, but it is far from the best.