• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Wheel Bearing...How to....

  • Thread starter Thread starter MahFiVeOh
  • Start date Start date Aug 11, 2004

MahFiVeOh

Founding Member
Apr 26, 2002
531
9
49
Ontario, Canada
Aug 11, 2004
#1
  • Aug 11, 2004
  • #1
I think one of my rear wheel bearings is shot.Is this an easy fix or should i bring it to a shop for repair.If i can do this job myself how can i determine which side is shot?

Thx
 
I

Idwitheld-1`

New Member
Nov 30, 2003
335
0
0
Portland Oregon
Aug 11, 2004
#2
  • Aug 11, 2004
  • #2
MahFiVeOh said:
I think one of my rear wheel bearings is shot.Is this an easy fix or should i bring it to a shop for repair.If i can do this job myself how can i determine which side is shot?

Thx
Click to expand...

I changed mine after 90,000 miles. In fact when I did the gears, I rebuilt the trac-loc and did all bearings and seals.

I expect it would be grinding or noisey. What leads you to belive you have a problem?

Bearings and seals are cheap, it just takes some time and energy. Plus a good bearing puller or a good length of conduit.
 
B

battyice

New Member
Mar 7, 2004
153
0
0
West Chazy, NY
Aug 11, 2004
#3
  • Aug 11, 2004
  • #3
Depending on your mechanical experience, it is not a difficult job. For starters, why do you think you have a bad wheel bearing?
 

NotoriousGT350

Founding Member
Apr 3, 2001
891
0
17
Lubbock, TX
Aug 11, 2004
#4
  • Aug 11, 2004
  • #4
I think I may have the same problem. When I drive, you hear a squeling sound from the driver side rear. Maybe the brake shoes, but it started about 3-4 months ago. I've been just ignoring it, but I've been trying to fix the "little things" on my car such as putting a new radiator, t-stat, I want to eventually rewire my foglights to turn them off/on whenever, and fixing my headlights.
 
B

battyice

New Member
Mar 7, 2004
153
0
0
West Chazy, NY
Aug 11, 2004
#5
  • Aug 11, 2004
  • #5
NotoriousGT350 said:
I think I may have the same problem. When I drive, you hear a squeling sound from the driver side rear. Maybe the brake shoes, but it started about 3-4 months ago. I've been just ignoring it, but I've been trying to fix the "little things" on my car such as putting a new radiator, t-stat, I want to eventually rewire my foglights to turn them off/on whenever, and fixing my headlights.
Click to expand...

I would bet you have a brake issue rather than a bad wheel bearing, but either way it is not something you should ignore. A bad wheel bearing can damage the axle and make it get very hot; it can even cause an axle to break under the right conditions. I would recommend postponing your foglight project and taking that brake drum off to see what the problem is before things get any worse.
 
V

v8only

Active Member
Jul 3, 2003
2,378
22
49
Aug 11, 2004
#6
  • Aug 11, 2004
  • #6
I've had three mustangs now all loose their rear wheel bearings exactly between 150-180k miles. that seems to be the consistent mileage range from my experience. My vert always made this constant scraping, gently roaring sound coming from the rear that I ignored for probably a good year or so. Finally it got so bad it chewed it's way through half the axleshaft, before it wobbled so bad then dumped out all the gear oil out the wheel bearing seal.

it's an easy replacement, though I don't thing a squeal would indicate having wheel bearing problems. As I mentioned, it's almost a soft roaring sound. Rent/buy a three pronged slide hammer puller from napa and go to town pulling it like it's gonna pull the car off the jackstands. I'm not a big conduit fan, cause I don't want to have to pull out the entire center section of the rear.
 

MahFiVeOh

Founding Member
Apr 26, 2002
531
9
49
Ontario, Canada
Aug 12, 2004
#7
  • Aug 12, 2004
  • #7
battyice said:
Depending on your mechanical experience, it is not a difficult job. For starters, why do you think you have a bad wheel bearing?
Click to expand...

I have heard the same sound on other cars i have owned and the sound is very similar.I notice it most when i come to a rolling stop with out applying the brakes.Kind of makes a slight groaning sound.Brakes are fine, i did them about 2 mths ago so they shouldnt be the prob.
PS i just passed 150000 kms also if that makes a difference.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine Looking for suggestions and or ideas
  • PonyGTrider
  • Aug 25, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
472
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
PonyGTrider
J
Suspension Foxbody mustang Steering shaft issue
  • Jakub2537
  • Sep 5, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
241
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 11, 2026
gkomo
N
Vibration after new clutch
  • nipple_looker
  • Sep 20, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
463
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 26, 2026
fasterthangas
F
Considering widening my rear wheels, would like to verify my thoughts on fitment
  • 2000xp8
  • Jul 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
37
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
J
2004 Mustang 3.8L V6 vibrations above 65 MPH and differential leaks
  • joeybuddy96
  • Mar 16, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
843
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 29, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?