When Do You Stop Trading Your Intelligence For A Special Effect?

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
Before my detractors chime in and remind me that this thread has nothing to do w/ mustangs, specifically fox mustangs,...I can say that this is about cars, (albeit ones that don't actually exist) and I am talking.

Who knows, there may actually be a mustang in the movie, but I'll never know unless it's on some trailer.

A preview comes on for the upcoming release of FF7, tied to a Dodge commercial.

In the preview, a trailer is going off a cliff, and Paul Walker is running the opposite direction, on the roof of the trailer. Simultaneously, The Mexican? female is driving towards him in a Challenger, whips the thing into a E brake 180 slide, and presents the rear of the car to Walker, now completely off the cliff, in Superhuman mode flying through the air, because once again, he has managed to defy the physics that the rest of the mortals on earth have to live by.

Lets just say the trailer going off the cliff has slowed to an ass draggin 15 MPH, and it's going direction "A".

Super Walker is running the opposite direction, (B) at a fairly steep uphill angle, on the roof of the now airborne trailer, headin' for Wylie Coyote land at the bottom of the canyon floor. Lets say he can manage 15 MPH, that would be generous considering that that is 4 MPH faster than the "average" human can run at his best.

( Unless you also want to credit an under cover cop, turned ex under cover cop, turned car thief, turned special agent working for the cops, and whatever else these guys are supposed to be in the other 6 movies they were in with having the same physical capabilities as Olympic runner Usain Bolt.)

Now that we have set up our allowances and standards, back to the preview.

The car is now sliding in reverse, on what has to be loose dirt. Despite that, I'm sure the tires are now fiercely churning forward, because when you are such an experienced driver like she is, power sliding the car right up to the cliff, close enough so that super Walker will have something to grab onto, you just know how to control a speeding, sliding, 4000 lb brick on dirt, in the desert.

Walker, who is still moving in a positive direction, against the trailer going the opposite direction (Think about it, if the trailer is going 15, and he's running 15 in the opposite direction, how fast is he actually going?) manages to run across the roof, and at the end manages a monster leap precise enough to grab onto the rear wing spoiler of the challenger.

Really?

How STUPID, how FAR from reality does a special effect have to get before you finally say to yourself I'm an idiot for trading my 8 bucks to have my intelligence assaulted for the sake of entertainment?:nonono:

Okay. let it fly.:cool:

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

When you go to movies for anything other than "dance monkey, and entertain me" value, you're wasting your time and money.

Edit 1 - And besides, I feel like it's what they have to do to upstage these Hollywood :taco:waffles enough to draw the public's unfounded attention from them.

Edit 2: that was sl utwaffle.

It's a movie. All movies push realism to the point where people believe unrealistic things are possibe.

I actually like the F&F series. As stupid as it is...it's a pretty entertaining movie. I'll wait til it comes out on Redbox rather than spend my cash at the movies (Movies here are $12+)

Yup he puts the die into diet:(

Yeah that was a bad/stupid joke. I liked the first movie. After that they've gotten worse/extremely asinine. But they do have some cool rides and I'll rent this one like I did the last 5.

Reactions: 1 users
I loved the F&F in the beginning but now It's just another lame movie with unbelievable stunts and effects just like the lame Mission Impossible. Hopefully they make another Need 4 Speed, I really like that movie.

I think it was ff5, where they drug a 10ton safe, which had no wheels, with two 4k lb chargers all through the city. That was when they really lost me.

Joe

I know it's not just me (cause there are other people in the theater when I'm in there)

Certain movies have greatly benefited from the advancements in CGI, and those movies are best watched in the theater where the screen is huge.

It's my business, and I'd be out of it if everybody thought the way I do. Fortunately for me they don't.

I'm in a minority here, but the movies I'm talking about are officially old now, but watched on a small screen, letter boxed the original intent of the film gets lost. The CGI used in these movies makes it real for the viewer, as opposed to having to suspend belief in the one mentioned above.

Specifically:

Saving Private Ryan. The beach scene at the theater is overwhelming. So much junk is going on there you have to have a big screen to take it all in. A small screen just turns all that carnage into a jumbled mess that is that much more noise. Clearly, there was no exact recreation when they made that movie, but it took CGI to make it believeable, and that made it one of my favs.

Dances w/ Wolves. All I'll say about that is: A hundred thousand head of buffalo. That's what you were supposed to see., and it takes the big screen to dramatize the effect. The editors, and the small screen turn that into about 20. Not so much a effects movie, but again there was a time when people saw what the movie depicted during the hunt.

Titanic. CGI out the ass, but again in a good way. How else could you put yourself at the back of the boat holding on as that part of the ship finally plunged into the icy North Atlantic?

Memphis Belle. What it must've been like to be a B17 crew man flying a bombing mission along w/ about a thousand others at the same time.

These movies are why CGI is a good thing and why they are best viewed in a large format venue, there are several others, but for the sake of blathering on, I'll leave it at those few. You get my point.

I know it's not just me (cause there are other people in the theater when I'm in there)

Certain movies have greatly benefited from the advancements in CGI, and those movies are best watched in the theater where the screen is huge.

It's my business, and I'd be out of it if everybody thought the way I do. Fortunately for me they don't.

I'm in a minority here, but the movies I'm talking about are officially old now, but watched on a small screen, letter boxed the original intent of the film gets lost. The CGI used in these movies makes it real for the viewer, as opposed to having to suspend belief in the one mentioned above.

Specifically:

Saving Private Ryan. The beach scene at the theater is overwhelming. So much junk is going on there you have to have a big screen to take it all in. A small screen just turns all that carnage into a jumbled mess that is that much more noise. Clearly, there was no exact recreation when they made that movie, but it took CGI to make it believeable, and that made it one of my favs.

Dances w/ Wolves. All I'll say about that is: A hundred thousand head of buffalo. That's what you were supposed to see., and it takes the big screen to dramatize the effect. The editors, and the small screen turn that into about 20. Not so much a effects movie, but again there was a time when people saw what the movie depicted during the hunt.

Titanic. CGI out the ass, but again in a good way. How else could you put yourself at the back of the boat holding on as that part of the ship finally plunged into the icy North Atlantic?

Memphis Belle. What it must've been like to be a B17 crew man flying a bombing mission along w/ about a thousand others at the same time.

These movies are why CGI is a good thing and why they are best viewed in a large format venue, there are several others, but for the sake of blathering on, I'll leave it at those few. You get my point.

I gotta ask Mike, with all due respect and love- are you two related at alll?

Sheldon-D-the-big-bang-theory-30858186-500-373.jpg

Before my detractors chime in and remind me that this thread has nothing to do w/ mustangs, specifically fox mustangs,...I can say that this is about cars, (albeit ones that don't actually exist) and I am talking.

Who knows, there may actually be a mustang in the movie, but I'll never know unless it's on some trailer.

A preview comes on for the upcoming release of FF7, tied to a Dodge commercial.

In the preview, a trailer is going off a cliff, and Paul Walker is running the opposite direction, on the roof of the trailer. Simultaneously, The Mexican? female is driving towards him in a Challenger, whips the thing into a E brake 180 slide, and presents the rear of the car to Walker, now completely off the cliff, in Superhuman mode flying through the air, because once again, he has managed to defy the physics that the rest of the mortals on earth have to live by.

Lets just say the trailer going off the cliff has slowed to an ass draggin 15 MPH, and it's going direction "A".

Super Walker is running the opposite direction, (B) at a fairly steep uphill angle, on the roof of the now airborne trailer, headin' for Wylie Coyote land at the bottom of the canyon floor. Lets say he can manage 15 MPH, that would be generous considering that that is 4 MPH faster than the "average" human can run at his best.

( Unless you also want to credit an under cover cop, turned ex under cover cop, turned car thief, turned special agent working for the cops, and whatever else these guys are supposed to be in the other 6 movies they were in with having the same physical capabilities as Olympic runner Usain Bolt.)

Now that we have set up our allowances and standards, back to the preview.

The car is now sliding in reverse, on what has to be loose dirt. Despite that, I'm sure the tires are now fiercely churning forward, because when you are such an experienced driver like she is, power sliding the car right up to the cliff, close enough so that super Walker will have something to grab onto, you just know how to control a speeding, sliding, 4000 lb brick on dirt, in the desert.

Walker, who is still moving in a positive direction, against the trailer going the opposite direction (Think about it, if the trailer is going 15, and he's running 15 in the opposite direction, how fast is he actually going?) manages to run across the roof, and at the end manages a monster leap precise enough to grab onto the rear wing spoiler of the challenger.

Really?

How STUPID, how FAR from reality does a special effect have to get before you finally say to yourself I'm an idiot for trading my 8 bucks to have my intelligence assaulted for the sake of entertainment?:nonono:

Okay. let it fly.:cool:

What's worse than that is people watching and believing reality shows where people are doing "illegal" sht infront of the camera and then the actors act like they're affraid of getting caught by the police.

@madmike1157 let me just take a stab at this... So your vision of a good night at the movies is visiting your local Planetarium or watching an I Max movie at your local Natural History Museum about butterflies? I'll send you the 8 bucks... FF7 will be on me pal :stick:you can thank me after your intelligence is assaulted for the sake of entertainment:nice: