Where Do I Place Door Sound Dampener?

3 Stangs

5 Year Member
Jan 22, 2018
(If this isn't the correct forum for this, please direct me elsewhere.) I've got my '69 Mach 1 interior pretty much gutted and prepped. I will be putting in some sound dampener everywhere (Dynamat type stuff), but I'm stumped about the doors. I see on the internet pictures showing the material placed inside of the outer door skin, and pictures showing it placed on the interior side just under the door panels. Is there a right or wrong? Is there a rational or purpose for either application? Does one work better than the other? I would appreciate any comments, experiences, or links/references. Thanks in advance. (Car is used as an occasional pleasure drive and would like the experience to be a little more quiet, not putting in a killer stereo...just something middle of the road.)

• Sponsors (?)

You really cannot go wrong with dynomat in either of those locations.

To get the most done with the least amount of material, you would add it to the inside of the door, just beneath your interior door panel.

Placing additional material on the inside of the door skin will help to reduce road noise but it should not be the only layer.

Placing material in the inner most panel of the door is where I would locate it if I were only doing single layer.

@horse sence has probably done a few (lol) of these. I'm sure he'll chime in before long.