where to find STOCK replacement axles?

Feb 11, 2007
I am narrowing the 95 explorer 8.8 i got out of the yard. it is offset and I am narrowing the LH side and installing another RH side axle. I checked the dealer and they want $250 for ONE axle? where can I find stock replacements for cheaper? autozone, advanced, etc i don't find them. I don't want to shell $110 for a yukon one on ebay, because then I'll look stupid with one stock axle and one hardened axle, or maybe if I got the same stickers so they lok the same. . .

either way i dont need a hardened axle. with plenty of meat and 31 splines, the explorer axle doesn't need any more help. I would like to get an affordable axle under $100 for it, and I only need one

• Sponsors (?)

Go back to the pick and pull and gaffle another RH axle?

In retrospect, you should of pulled to RH's when you grabbed the axle in the first place, but it's a little late now. The 5.0 guys do a dirt head 5 lug conversion using two RH axles out of a ranger so if you have trouble finding one, you'll know why.

Go back to the pick and pull and gaffle another RH axle?

In retrospect, you should of pulled to RH's when you grabbed the axle in the first place, but it's a little late now. The 5.0 guys do a dirt head 5 lug conversion using two RH axles out of a ranger so if you have trouble finding one, you'll know why.

or the lefties out of aerostar's....

. . . but that doesn't work for explorer rears. I didn't pull the axle yet (tomorrow) but the yard is only willing to let me pull one axle, not take parts ( i.e. other axleshafts) from other axles. I could try it, but it would look wierd with me rolling the axle to my car and one wheel is about to wobble out. . . .

. . . but that doesn't work for explorer rears. I didn't pull the axle yet (tomorrow) but the yard is only willing to let me pull one axle, not take parts ( i.e. other axleshafts) from other axles. I could try it, but it would look wierd with me rolling the axle to my car and one wheel is about to wobble out. . . .

Different spline count...duh..can't remember what I read..:rolleyes:

Is there an axle rebuild shop in your town...here we have a shop called.. Axles, transfers and transmissions. I needed a couple of small parts and they said.."here-not worth writing a ticket"..got'em for free!!

Check around and see if one of those shops are around and ask if they are willing to part with one.