Fox Which Amsoil ATF to use

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Does anyone have any experience with which Amsoil ATF to use in a manual?
There is 4 or 5 options and not enough info for me to make a decision?
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Tremec recommends their own line of fluid for their trans. Hard to get a non-Tremec fluid recommendation for the tkx.

I’ve actually never used Amsoil in any products I own. It’s hard to find where I live.
Try to find some Tremec fluid its been unobtainable ...Although I havent looked recently... Tremec told me to use Dexron III/Mercon in my TKX... Originally was told to use Syncromesh, but that was changed to DExron III/Mercon.....
I believe the TKO and the other Tremec manuals from that era use Syncromesh fluid....
NOT a believer in snake oil, but I started using Amsoil in my Harley and have had good results with it and I think I am going to up my 3 liter Duramax to 5-30 from the 0-20 GM recommends.... Amsoils 5-30 meets the Dexos D requirement by GM..... Being in Florida ( except for this weekend) I don't think the cold weather oil is necessary.....
Looking into Amsoils " preferred" customer program where they are saying " up to" 25% off and free shipping over a certain purchase amount... So might be making a somewhat of a large order.... Looking at what all of their product I can use.....

I have to run the synchromesh in my TKO (late 90's model) and I use Penzoil's version with zero issues. As for my T5 I use Amsoil in it and this is what I run:

Click on the Amsoil ATF link within the link I posted above and it will direct you to which one. It can be had cheaper than from Modern.

Reactions: 1 users
Old tko/3550 pensoil or gm synchomesh. T5/tkx good old valvoline max life.

Only fluid that any manual transmission I owned hated was royal purple synchromax in a 3550. Killed the brass synchro with a simple maintenance fluid change, went from shifting fine to the synchros not slowing the gear down even just cruising that's back when they marketed it as compatible with gm synchromesh.

Old tko/3550 pensoil or gm synchomesh. T5/tkx good old valvoline max life.

Only fluid that any manual transmission I owned hated was royal purple synchromax in a 3550. Killed the brass synchro with a simple maintenance fluid change, went from shifting fine to the synchros not slowing the gear down even just cruising that's back when they marketed it as compatible with gm synchromesh.
Royal Purple is NOT recommended in a TKX....

Tkx I would just run basic dexIII for the break in atleast.
Thats my plan, but at the 500 mile change I wanted to use a synthetic Dexron III/Mercon..
If you look at the " automatic" trans fluid page on the Amsoil site, its one of the first 3, I am guessing the 2nd one is the one I will use...

I will also say that the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is also really good stuff. Ran it for years before I switched to the Amsoil and only switched as I got really good pricing on the Amsoil. Dealer hooked me up with a mechanic rate account so I couldn’t say no.

Last edited:
Pretty much most “multi vehicle” atf will meet Mercon/dex III specs. I like the redline atf, the d4 or high temp.

Or go get you some valve line maxlife or Castrol multi vehicle and be on your way.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I recently used Amsoil in my F150 M5OD when I converted it to manual. I don't remember which I used but read the Amsoil information and based the choice on that. It seems to have worked very well since.

This was my first usage of Amsoil products and found that it was easy to use. There is a dealer near me that placed the order, someone who works out of their home, but the order was drop shipped. It was an easy transaction.