White face gauges

tango7

Founding Member
Jul 21, 2000
Hickory n.c
I got my white face gauges yesterday from ebay. I remember that someone said to use 2 sided tape to get them to stick to the gauges on the factory gauges if so where do you get the 2 sided tape. I am pleased with the gauges.

thanks, James

• Sponsors (?)

How Hard To Install

Hey! I have been thinking about doing this to my 1998 vert. How hard is the installation? I always see where people say it is best to have them "professionally installed." What is involved with the installation?

Mine were basically a sticker too.I also have the mac gauges.As far as being hard to install, it's better to take a pic of the current gauges with the car off and at idle to use as a reference.Other than that, not a hard install at all IMO.

Oh, it's a piece of cake. You have to pull the headlight knob off, then there is 2 screws to get the dash apart. Then there is 7 or 8 screws that hold your gauge cluster in, and 2 connectors in the back off the cluster. Take the plastic cover off of the gauges. Use a fork to pull the needles off(make sure you note their location, draw a picture or something) Be careful not to break a needle, as for that would suck bad.
Peel the factory insert off, line up the new one and stick it on there. Put the needles back on(lightly in case you have to move them) except the MPH and RPM needles, they have to be done while you are driving(not kidding). Plug the gauge cluster back in and put in 2 or 3 screws to hold it in place. I'm not sure if your car has a maintence mode for you gauges, it will tell you digitally how fast you are going and your RPMS. While you are idling, just remember what your car idles at and put the RPM needle on. Then take your car for a drive, set your cruise at 30 or 35 MPH and then reach through the steering wheel and put your MPH needle on.(make sure it is a straight road, don't wreck your car during this step, lol) Then go home and put everything back together, push your needles all the way on, not to tight or they'll bind up, the way I did it was put a tine of the fork between the needle and the gauge, and that just about gives you the perfect spacing. Too much space between the needle, you'll get serious light leaks at night. Should take you about 45-60 min, don't pay someone to do that. Hope that helps you out :nice:

there are a lot of different types of white face gauges. if you check out the how-to on mustangworld.com, they use mac gauges that are basically big stickers. i think the ones tango got are indiglo overlays. they lay on the original face, sliding under the needles while they're still on. they don't rely on the back-lighting of the stock gauges and don't have an adhesive. i used double sided tape, but don't know if it was necessary. it was mostly because i didn't want to have to take them off if the overlay didn't lie flat.

98GTBlk- I installed mine myself, and trust me, im no professional.

I'm with inferno. The install is easy as cake, especially with the overlays. Don't even need to take your needles off. IIRC, the gauges should have holes that line up with pins on the cluster and hold them in place, anyway. Biggest hassle is finding the right size torx-bit for the cluster screws.

I got the same gauges that inferno9898 got off of ebay and they look good and I am going to install them tonight. They are worth the $27.00 I paid. I just wonder if the gauges look that good for the 93 gts. I would like to install them in my 93.

tango7 said:
I got the same gauges that inferno9898 got off of ebay and they look good and I am going to install them tonight. They are worth the $27.00 I paid. I just wonder if the gauges look that good for the 93 gts. I would like to install them in my 93.

I just got those as well. From what i can tell, they look like a very similar style to the NR Auto gauges i bought for my '88 for $109. Except i got these for $27.

Shouldn't really need double sided take. The black bezel trim should hold it down enough. Might need a fork to lift the gauge needle up a bit, but don't take them off.

WHen i get a chance, i'm gonna trim the warning light section out as well as try to trim out the turn signal section. I only want the gauges to be white.