Why does my car seem so sluggish? Cam?

1fastsn95

Apr 22, 2005
Carthage, tn
the basics: .040 302, TFS heads (2.02/1.60), B cam, 1.6 RRs, Cobra intake, 70mm TB, 73mm MA, 24# (fp @ 38#), Timing @ 14 deg, AOD (no stall), 4.10 gears. This thing is a DOG outta the hole, after about 24-25k rpms it starts pulling pretty decent, but not like I was expecting. What should I change/add/adjust to get this car moving the way I think it should?? I know the b cam is probably the main culprit but what about my injectors? Are they big enough? Need more FP? Less? What cam would someone recommend?? Thanks!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

the basics: .040 302, TFS heads (2.02/1.60), B cam, 1.6 RRs, Cobra intake, 70mm TB, 73mm MA, 24# (fp @ 38#), Timing @ 14 deg, AOD (no stall), 4.10 gears. This thing is a DOG outta the hole, after about 24-25k rpms it starts pulling pretty decent, but not like I was expecting. What should I change/add/adjust to get this car moving the way I think it should?? I know the b cam is probably the main culprit but what about my injectors? Are they big enough? Need more FP? Less? What cam would someone recommend?? Thanks!!!!

I would say this is one of your problems.
I run the B also....it's advance 4 degrees.
It had great lowend even prior to the blower.
I could roast the tires in first and second.

i say get a new cam and intake, the b-cam and cobra intake are great parts, but IMO you can pick up some power with a bigger intake and cam. the TFS heads are nice flowing heads and can support some nice power. but the b-cam and cobra intake are a little on the mild side, better fitted to gt40 heads and etc

and get rid of the stock stall, that will make it feel slow. get a nice stall and it will be alot better.

and the 24# are plenty of fuel.

Yup a nice converter will really help you out. the stocker is really holding you back right now. be warned though...a looser converter is going to make the car less tame when driving it around town.

what they said! ha!

but seriously, have you had the car tuned? that might help if there's bad sensors.. is it running rich?

not to discount other's comments on a stall, def. a good ad to your combo, but i think you were originally thinking that there could simply be not enough power coming out of your setup right? I'd not forget the basics here then (clogged fuel filters, switched 3&4 plug wires, you name it, I've seen it).

good luck!

The B cam is not known to be a cam that makes alot of low end torque but it is also not the main problem either. The combo of the cam good higher flowing heads and a aod with the stock converter is the reason it feels sluggish. A stock AOD car can be helped alot just by the addition of a stall converter. A 3200 stall will make the car feel completely different.

The B cam is probably not the best for the combo and a good custom cam will probably free up some more power but I don't think it will be a huge difference.

The cobra intake is a good intake and with a ported lower can make some good numbers. It probably doesn't excell in the upper rpm's like some aftermarket intakes but they make great torque and average hp.

THIS THING PULLS TO 25K RPMS?!?!?

lol! Oops, I guess I meant 2.5K :rlaugh:

ninety15.0 Yup a nice converter will really help you out. the stocker is really holding you back right now. be warned though...a looser converter is going to make the car less tame when driving it around town.
Thats another issue, I want this car to be extremely streetable. Im guessing I may have to trade HP for street manners or visa versa?? Im definatly looking for more low end grunt than high end HP. The only time it sees track time is when there is a mustang event going on. I appreciate everyones comments! Keep em coming!