Why is my car smokeing (oil)

stevesLX

Nov 12, 2006
cincinnati
I have a 89 LX and I am burning oil out thru the exhaust. It is pretty much constant especially at idle. If I accelerate hard it will shoot smoke out also for a few seconds. The color is white with a blue tint. There are some emisions that have been removed but nothing that I think would be causing this. The car is still pplenty strong. I just bought this a feww weeks ago. Supposedly the motor has about 15000 miles on it. I have the list of everything that was done to it. They claim to have put low tension rings in it. I'm not really familiar with all this but I am learning slowly. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I beleive this has a 160 degree thermostat in it. I was told that if I change that out to a 195 degree that my problem with keeping the car started when its cold would probably be solved. Sounds a little far fetched to me. I cleaned my idle air control but no help. It still has to warm up a little before it will stay started.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like loose rings to me, blowby......

Would probably make a good nitrous car... Does it clear up the smoke a little when youre on it hard through a tall gear, only to smoke up real bad during decel? Mine did that...the compression from being at wide open ballooned the rings out a little more and let them seal, but on decel when they loosened up it started DUMPING smoke.

Could be a host of things, could be a poor intake gasket seal, could be a head gasket issue, could be blowby, could be valve seals...see where I'm going with this? If your mechanically able I would first pull the computer codes, then do a compression and or leakdown test, followed by an oil change to inspect for oil/water contamination, pull the plugs to see if there is oil deposits. Once these items are checked off and all ok, then you can look at the option of removing parts to replace gaskets, or if needed rebuild what need rebuilding.

It's just soo difficult to diagnos problems over the compter, you will need to investigate some yourself to find some relevant info, then come on back and see what we can do for ya.