Will a 750DP drown my engine?

65ShelbyClone

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2000
Antelope Valley, SoCal
I searched and found conflicting information, hence my asking now.

I have access to a Holley 750 DP for use as a loaner with the option to buy later for cheap if I want. I'm tempted, but also concerned that it will be too big for the roller 302 going into my '68. I originally was thinking a 600 ot 650.

Here is what the engine already has:
Edelbrock Performer 60379 heads
Crane 2031 cam(.513in/.529ex, forgot duration)
Flat top Speedpros, about 9.6:1 squeeze.

Here is what I have planned:
Wieand X-Celerator single plane
Either Hooker 4-1s or Tri-Ys

Will a 750 be grossly too large for this? Keep in mind I already read the cfm formulas and associated discussions.

• Sponsors (?)

if you only had more cubes I'd say do it. I have 357 of them and was worried my 750vac would be too much. While it might still be a little too big it wont meet your definition of grossly :D

NEWS:

I guess the little 600 didnt get pawned. My dad found it in a seldom-searched shed and it was in the box my 600 DP came in when I had the '65 notch. Too bad its a single feed vacuum secondary. Now for the million-dollar question:

What would be good baseline jetting? It worked fairly well on a 90% stock 289, but I figure I'll need more fuel for the 302 in my first post.

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd recycle this one.

I got a 600dp about a week ago, so now I dont have to use the 4160. Its just as well too because the 4160's bowls were glued down with varnish. Now I just need an X-Celerator intake. Anyway...

Any baseline jetting suggestions?

I usually take the list number and go to the Holley website and start at the factory Holley jetting which is usually pretty close unless there is something wrong with the carb.I have got some nice deals on used carbs that the previous owners said were fubared and once I restored everything back to the original settings they always ran great.Keep in mind that Holley jets on the rich side for safety reasons so make your first jet change a couple leaner and see if it improves.Holley has at least 5 different versions of the 600 dbl pumper, from a straight list 4776 up to a 4776-4 and there are broad variations of the original jetting.Some originally had 69-71 jets and some had 66-76.Here is a link so you can see what the original jetting was http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/CarbList.pdf

65ShelbyClone said:
I searched and found conflicting information, hence my asking now.

I have access to a Holley 750 DP for use as a loaner with the option to buy later for cheap if I want. I'm tempted, but also concerned that it will be too big for the roller 302 going into my '68. I originally was thinking a 600 ot 650.

Here is what the engine already has:
Edelbrock Performer 60379 heads
Crane 2031 cam(.513in/.529ex, forgot duration)
Flat top Speedpros, about 9.6:1 squeeze.

Here is what I have planned:
Wieand X-Celerator single plane
Either Hooker 4-1s or Tri-Ys

Will a 750 be grossly too large for this? Keep in mind I already read the cfm formulas and associated discussions.

Cool avatar. Here he is in jail.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

HistoricMustang said:
Cool avatar. Here he is in jail.

Hehe, thanks. I made a few others inlcuding where he jumps the car and also where both the Dodge and Mustang fly around a sweeper past the camera. :D The hard part is keeping the file size so small.

Is that mugshot for real? Did he truly get booked or that from a film? He doesnt look too worried....

65ShelbyClone said:

Hehe, thanks. I made a few others inlcuding where he jumps the car and also where both the Dodge and Mustang fly around a sweeper past the camera. :D The hard part is keeping the file size so small.

Is that mugshot for real? Did he truly get booked or that from a film? He doesnt look too worried....

Believe the photos are real. The hand may have been added. Steve was like James Dean, Elvis and some of the others. They sometimes lived out there on the edge.

You should see the photo I have of Johnny Cash "shooting the bird" at his fans!

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com