Will my old TKO live behind a granny shifted 1200 ft-lbs, or stupid question?

FastDriver

My dad had a bra
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
Vass, NC
[flamesuit]

I'd like to get the car tuned and drive a little before replacing my drivetrain if possible. Thing is, I don't know if the drivetrain even has a prayer. Here's what I've got: Spec 3 clutch, Tremec TKO (not the 500 or 600... the old one), FMS aluminum DS, and the 8.8" rear end with stock differential and hardened 28 spline axles.

I'm not talking about abusive shifting or even racing. I'm just talking about tuning at all boost levels and then backing it down to somewhere in the neighborhood of 600rwhp and taking it easy until I can put a real drivetrain under it.

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

How bout the TKO600? And what do you think about that MMR900 (the same thing as the X2C)? Is deburring and a heat treatment really going to do squat or are they just reselling a TKO600 for a few-hundred-dollar mark-up?

With that kind of power any manual is going to reak havoc on the drivetrain...lol the logical choice is a glide but it may not be the most fun in a street car but it will hold the power.

I have delt with MMR for some mod motor stuff and have always been impressed and pleased with there service give them a call.

yeah, with that kind 0f p0wer its g0nna be hard t0 find a tranny that will h0ld the p0wer and be streetable. y0ur best bet w0uld be either a p0werglide 0r a chrysler 904 if y0u can find a bellh0using f0r it. 0r if y0u want t0 stay with a manual check int0 lenc0, they make s0me nice stuff but its really expensive. i actually saw a 900 hp 95 gt street car the 0ther day that had a 5 spd clutchless tranny. the guy never t00k the car t0 the track and just street raced it. must be fun

As soon as you start making that torque your tranny isn't gonna like you very much. However it should last a little while if your not hard on it, and if you shift around 2.5k rpms...AND NOW POWERSHIFTING/RACING!!:D

Some guy with a 859 rwhp turbo SN95 car said his TKO broke when it came on full boost rolling in third. It's hard to say. You could try it, if you dont have a decent clutch, thats gonna go first probably.

You can have a stick live under it, the automatic thing is a cop out unless you are after nothing but track times. There are Vipers running mid 8's in the 1/4 with a T56. A built T56 costs alot of $$$$$$$$ though!

Speeds8erM-1 said:
Some guy with a 859 rwhp turbo SN95 car said his TKO broke when it came on full boost rolling in third. It's hard to say. You could try it, if you dont have a decent clutch, thats gonna go first probably.

You can have a stick live under it, the automatic thing is a cop out unless you are after nothing but track times. There are Vipers running mid 8's in the 1/4 with a T56. A built T56 costs alot of $$$$$$$$ though!

Yep- I frequent Turbomustangs.com- Your tranny doesn't have a prayer. you will sheer the gears off 3rd and possibly 4th. And the spec 3 clutch isn't gonna hold that. Do yourself a favor and sell that thing to someone who can use it and put that money towards a Viper Spec T56 (D&D Motorsports sells them) I helped put one in a 90 GT and it was a good fit. Really nice setup- but expensive. Oh well, again and again- you get what you pay for:nono: