Fox ? Wiring For Alternator Upgrade, Can I Use This Inline Fusebreaker? Instead Of Fuseable Link?

gruvee87vertgt

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 7, 2003
Chicago, Il
?

Thanks

Attachments

• fuse breaker.jpg
    fuse breaker.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 173
  • Sponsors (?)

I just installed a busman 150 amp breaker on mine . I had a 200amp fuse that blew and then melted after over spinning the alternator .

This should work fine for you

IDK, that kinda doesnt sound right.....

Im installing a 160 Amp Alternator
You never specified that you weren't doing a standard 130amp alt upgrade . if so then I'd look for a 200 amp breaker or fuse . I originally had a 160 in my car which is why I had the 200amp fuse .

Also makes me laugh when someone comes in asking for advice then tells me it doesn't sound right . I only melted my fuse because I had a smaller alternator pulley on it and I swapped my blower pulley for a 8 inch with a standard size serpentine pulley on it instead of the 6.87 with the underdrive on it . I forgot about the alt pulley I had put on it . So I went from spinning the alt at the right speed to over spinning it .

Reactions: 3 users
The circuit breaker will work OK, but it is expensive overkill. Fuses are inexpensive and easy to replace.

Always undersize rather that overside; that way the fuse or circuit breaker open circuits before the wire or other parts start to burn. Fuses and circuit breakers both have a time delay before they open circuit and shut off the current flow. Circuit breakers are typically thermal units with a long time delay, therefore oversizing the current rating poses more of an electrical hazard.

Check the temperature rating on any electrical product you buy. The wiring is rated an 105° C which is 221° F. The circuit breaker needs to be at least 105° C/221 ° F rated.
If it isn't rated for use in that temperature range it will likely cause problems in slow moving heavy traffic on hot summer days. It may open circuit shutting down the alternator, leaving you running on battery only.

Fuse holder from local NAPA dealer - Item#: BK 7821143 Price: $10.49
Product Features: Thermal Plastic Holder For AMG Type Fuse Rated From 100 To 300 amp
This has survived Florida summer heat and Georgia winter cold for many years and shows no sign of giving up. The audio quality fuse holders don't hold up well in the high temperature environment under an automobile hood. I had 2 audio grade fuse holders get hot enough that the plastic softened enough that the wires loosened up.

Reactions: 2 users
The circuit breaker will work OK, but it is expensive overkill. Fuses are inexpensive and easy to replace.

Always undersize rather that overside; that way the fuse or circuit breaker open circuits before the wire or other parts start to burn. Fuses and circuit breakers both have a time delay before they open circuit and shut off the current flow. Circuit breakers are typically thermal units with a long time delay, therefore oversizing the current rating poses more of an electrical hazard.

Check the temperature rating on any electrical product you buy. The wiring is rated an 105° C which is 221° F. The circuit breaker needs to be at least 105° C/221 ° F rated.
If it isn't rated for use in that temperature range it will likely cause problems in slow moving heavy traffic on hot summer days. It may open circuit shutting down the alternator, leaving you running on battery only.

Fuse holder from local NAPA dealer - Item#: BK 7821143 Price: $10.49
Product Features: Thermal Plastic Holder For AMG Type Fuse Rated From 100 To 300 amp
This has survived Florida summer heat and Georgia winter cold for many years and shows no sign of giving up. The audio quality fuse holders don't hold up well in the high temperature environment under an automobile hood. I had 2 audio grade fuse holders get hot enough that the plastic softened enough that the wires loosened up.
Class is in session, notebooks out and pencils ready :nice::flag:

The bussman I used is used for the a/c compressor circuit on a city bus . 150amp . We run those continuously when they are out all day lOng in summer time . No issues

You want to fuse/breaker protect to the wire size. Wire ratings tend to drop as distance and temp increases. So when I doubt, fuse low. You want the fuse to be the weakest link

Reactions: 1 users
You want to fuse/breaker protect to the wire size. Wire ratings tend to drop as distance and temp increases. So when I doubt, fuse low. You want the fuse to be the weakest link
Yup that's why I scaled down from 200 to the 150 this time around. If my alt is pushing the full 130amps it can we know something else is going on .