Woodworking question, can you put oil based polyurathane over water based?

1320stang

Founding Member
Nov 13, 1998
Edmond, Oklahoma
I built a new bench in my garage and didn't want the plywood soaking up everything, and I had a can of water based polyurethane on the shelf and put about 10 coats on. This stuff goes on pretty thin, I wasn't trying for the bar look where they have pictures under the poly, but I was hoping it'd be thicker than what I have. I have another can of DEFT oil based poly and was wondering if I can put it over the water based stuff. The water based stuff has been on for several weeks. I'm not worried about it looking cloudy, but I'd like to fill some of the grain. I was just wondering if they'd react with each other in a negative way.

• Sponsors (?)

Never thought I would I would attempt to answer a wood question on a Mustang forum....

It been years since I worked with paints and stains, but if I can remember correctly you should have gone with the oil base first (penetrates into the wood more) than water base. As for reaction and durability of an oil poly over latex, probably best to check with the manufacture on this one.

definitely call the MFR of the coating you already have on the bench, I've had too many problems mixing types / brands of paint, it's not worth the hassle, call up the mfr, I've had to do this a few times and was pleasantly surprised at how helpful the folks were.