Worth Debate

MrFoxNutCase

Formerly: redcandy2011gt
Sep 24, 2009
Started this discussion on a local board. But I often wonder which one of my two notches will be "worth more" in the future.

Black 87 (62 made with this option/color/year)
It's a no-option factory 5.0/5-speed with 68,000 miles. But has been repainted and restored and modified slightly (5 lug, FRPP Z-spec T5, alum. driveshaft, bigger brakes, GT40 heads, real 93 Cobra intake coming soon, BBK long tubes, etc...). The car is going to be mint top to bottom as I'm in the process of redoing the underbelly because I don't like how I painted it previously. Interior is being redone from my custom black to factory mint smoke grey with optional leather sport seats.

20160801_161410_resized_1-1024x576.jpg

20160817_155109_resized-1024x576.jpg

20160923_173532-1024x576.jpg

Blue 89 (687 made with this option/color/year)
Only options are AOD and AC, factory 5.0 car with 80,000 miles. Not restored, not repainted, not molested all factory stuff down to the 10 holes and airbox. I'm just putting some small random things back to ford spec like the spark plug wires, coil and generally just cleaning it up. But I am converting it to a 5 speed. Paint is original but not a 10/10, it was faded pretty badly (I am restoring it with polish), but has some stone chips and the front bumper is pretty faded, not fixable without repaint but still "liveable".

20160925_140653-1024x576.jpg

20160925_080922-1024x576.jpg

20160925_081022-1024x576.jpg

I tend to gravitate towards un-restored being worth more in the long run like the 89. But my 87 is a more desirable year in my area (no need for emissions testing every other year), it's also a factory 5 speed and more "rare" in terms of it being factory black and no AC - very cheap poor man's Mustang back in 87. The 87 will also be properly re-painted in the near future, I'm just making sure the engine bay and undercarriage is mint and factory "concourse" spec, at least in terms of paint, labels and such.

So let's say in 3 years... which would you pay more for? The untouched "barn find" 89 or the restomod/OCD-restored 87.

• Sponsors (?)

Black 87 for me. It's not crazy modded, and is tasteful. it also has the right mods.

I'm not sure I'd want to drive a bone stock Mustang. Kinda defeats the purpose (to me) to spend a ton on a clean stocker, and then rip it apart to "improve" it.

However, I've pretty much committed myself to never dabbling in the fox body market. If something ever happens to my Fox, i'll get myself a newer car. You can get a pretty clean 96-98 Cobra for less than what a clean Fox sells for these days. I view that as a much better starting point, and am actually keeping my eyes out for good deal on CL for one.

Reactions: 1 users
What would I prefer, or what would someone who hangs out at Barrett-Jackson or Mecum auctions prefer? (Or a wannabe.) Those may be two different questions.

If Foxes ever take off as a collector car (which it looks like they might be doing), then you get into stuff like "rare factory E7 heads" and "stock exhaust" as desirable features that add dollars.

Right now, I like that blue, and I'm more in a mood to do my own mods. But in a few years, who knows? What if I'm too fat in a few years to fit under a car without a lift? :rlaugh:

Any colour for me, as long as it's black.

The blue car is super clean, but if you're like me you won't be able to leave well enough alone....which as someone stated defeats the purpose of owning a clean stock car.

Low mileage all original cars or a well done highly modified car brings the most money. For your examples...I would assume the 87 would bring more in a sale. It's what I would pay more for( mostly because I don't want a stock car and your 87 has tasteful/popular mods). Neither one is what I would put in the "upper" category. More along very nice driver cars and they both would be easy to sell IMO.

I hear ya! I guess it's a wash lol I like my black one more because it's mechanically pretty much new, I think the only old things left are the fuel lines and short block... Once I put the larger 13/12" front/back brake system on this to fill in the wheels better and finish the OCD detailing - it will be a lot more desirable as a restored resto-mod kind of fox versus a clean (but not mint) barn find.

Reactions: 1 user
If Foxes ever take off as a collector car (which it looks like they might be doing), then you get into stuff like "rare factory E7 heads" and "stock exhaust" as desirable features that add dollars.

I feel as if fox mustangs might be in a bubble more than anything. What I remember from the 2007 recession is that everyone was selling their toys for pennies on the dollars to keep their houses.

There's some confidence right now, but all it takes is another little dip to bring the prices down. I'd say if anyone is debating selling their fox Mustang, nows the time. Perhaps in 5 years or so they can pick up another one for 75% or so of what they sold theirs.

I hear ya! I guess it's a wash lol I like my black one more because it's mechanically pretty much new, I think the only old things left are the fuel lines and short block... Once I put the larger 13/12" front/back brake system on this to fill in the wheels better and finish the OCD detailing - it will be a lot more desirable as a restored resto-mod kind of fox versus a clean (but not mint) barn find.
Both cars are very nice and are valuable for different reasons. For me I'd much rather purchase a fox that's already been 5 lug swapped and that swap is not getting any cheaper as the 94-95 spindles only go up in price. I would never want to buy a fox with a fully built engine though. Mainly suspension, exhaust, and 5 lug.

5 lug swapped and that swap is not getting any cheaper as the 94-95 spindles only go up in price.

Amazing isn't it?

Back in the day, you could buy BRAND NEW Cobra front caliper, Brembo-made 13" rotors and braided lines for under $400. Pick up a set of spindles for $100 and you had the entire front setup. Now that kit is what? $700? and $200 for spindles?

I think I did my entire M-2300-K kit for $900 and that included many new parts. Nowadays, even piecing it together you'd be well over $1K. It's not cheap anymore.

I would certainly value a near-stock Fox that has already had this addressed. If I see two stockish Foxes for $7K, and one has 5-lug cobra brakes on it already...I'm choosing that one.

But I agree on not getting a car with a fully built 331 on it.

Amazing isn't it?

Back in the day, you could buy BRAND NEW Cobra front caliper, Brembo-made 13" rotors and braided lines for under $400. Pick up a set of spindles for $100 and you had the entire front setup. Now that kit is what? $700? and $200 for spindles?

I think I did my entire M-2300-K kit for $900 and that included many new parts. Nowadays, even piecing it together you'd be well over $1K. It's not cheap anymore.

I would certainly value a near-stock Fox that has already had this addressed. If I see two stockish Foxes for $7K, and one has 5-lug cobra brakes on it already...I'm choosing that one.

But I agree on not getting a car with a fully built 331 on it.
For me my 94/95 spindles cost me $200 shipped off e-bay and they were not cleaned up nor rebuilt and that was the least expensive I could find. There is not a lot of Mustangs in my area at the local pull'n saves so money could not be saved there for me.

More and more I see people would rather have a stock platform to purchase to either drive or to start modding from which I agree with and that makes value go up for those cars. My car started out as a "survivor" and was 100% stock. I believe I have tastefully modded my car while retaining value and retaining value is important to me however I have an urge from time to time for smoothing and tucking an engine bay or to go faster. It's the end of driving season and I'm at a fork in the road with retaining stock engine or going HCI. I'm really struggling with it!