RANT!!! You thought Foxbodies were high?

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Acworth, GA
I recently watched the "Throttle House" review of the Toyota MR2 and got a really bad itch. I learned to drive in my brother's manual transmission turbo MR2 that I later inherited. That car caught fire in 2004, and the insurance company gave me $4k for it. I was thinking I might pick up an N/A car cheap and V6 swap it or something. You know, for old time's sake. I mean, at some point. I just spent all my mid-life crisis money fixing a sink hole in my back yard. If you think foxbodies have gone sky high, hold onto your dicks.

Kurt

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Yep the jdm crowd killed so many of there cars that prices went bat :poo:, I blame the drift crowd whos mission seems to be to utterly destroy cars.. There also raising the beater fox body prices now. Good thing is my big ass doesn't fit in an mr2 or rx7 so no point in wanting one, driving an mr2 into service when I was at Toyota was funny as hell.

Yep the jdm crowd killed so many of there cars that prices went bat :poo:, I blame the drift crowd whos mission seems to be to utterly destroy cars.. There also raising the beater fox body prices now. Good thing is my big ass doesn't fit in an mr2 or rx7 so no point in wanting one, driving an mr2 into service when I was at Toyota was funny as hell.
Think the Cash for Clunkers program got some of them??

Last edited:
Think the Clash for Clunkers program got some of them??
Not as many as the drift crowed has destroyed lol.. Worst was seeing a typhoons in the cash for clunkers deal, $3500 I would have bough it.. We only got clapped out junk traded in where I worked, half the stuff didn't take much to lock up the motor.

• Wow
Lots of 80s and 90s stuff is up big these days.

Broncos are another one but they have always been popular so should be no surprise

• Agree
Lots of 80s and 90s stuff is up big these days.

Broncos are another one but they have always been popular so should be no surprise
Legit low mile cars going to collectors I can understand, cut up polished turds or bondo buckets that where ragged to death then returned to stock is what I've been seeing a ton of the past few years and they don't justify the asking prices... Been looking for a simple obs dumb efi or carb truck to redo. Most are just flippers looking for suckers, the majority of them are hack jobs....

If your dropping more the 10k on fox body or any 80s - 90s car you better inspect it close on lift, under coating and fresh paint only hides so much especially on a tin can like fox body, and any that saw sticky tires or left hard on the track will show it. The trucks up here are mostly rotted to hell hidden with Bedliner or under coating that look ok from 10ft..... Up close not so much

The trick is to find the fun cars that will be popular 3-5 years before they start going up in value. If we are seeing the early 90's cars going up, then what was the car to have in the late 90s & early '00s? I'm still keeping an eye out for a '95 Cobra R or a 95-99 Saleen S351. I was pretty in-the-know on the cars back in the 90s, but by the '00s, my head was completely into career. I might have missed some of the cool stuff.

Not as many as the drift crowed has destroyed lol.. Worst was seeing a typhoons in the cash for clunkers deal, $3500 I would have bough it.. We only got clapped out junk traded in where I worked, half the stuff didn't take much to lock up the motor.
Something got them. That's a nationwide search, 8 cars for sale in the entire Country. I think I found one more on truecar or something. If I had to guess, reality got most of them. These cars were worth nothing for years, so when they got old and needed major repair, people just scrapped them. I don't know why you would want to drift an MR2; sounds like a great way to wreck one. You get the back end going on a mid engine car, it's very hard to control.

Kurt

Something got them. That's a nationwide search, 8 cars for sale in the entire Country. I think I found one more on truecar or something. If I had to guess, reality got most of them. These cars were worth nothing for years, so when they got old and needed major repair, people just scrapped them. I don't know why you would want to drift an MR2; sounds like a great way to wreck one. You get the back end going on a mid engine car, it's very hard to control.

Kurt
The search engines suck these days since Craigslist started charging to list there, 95% of private owner cars are on Facebook. Facebook plain sucks to search and won't show you all the ads. On top of that most are listed in echo chamber groups who do nothing but trying to pump the value of them... The amount of cars I looked at in person that have comments like, " you listed that car too low" or "that should sell fast" only to find rot patched with fiber fill in under 5 mins or slapped together cars with a macro special after driving a few hours got real old.....

A paint gauge is your friend when Looking at older cars, and people who won't post detailed pics are generally hiding some thing. On top of that that market is just plain screwed from covid so all most everyone that isn't starved for cash is looking for a sucker ..... Don't get me wrong. Some cars are worth the high prices 95% are not. The best deals I've found where using crappy apps like offer up in areas away form big cities.

As for mr2's they have been popular for a few years now with the k20 swap crowd among others. Jdm cars all have the millennial tax, hell I just saw a local clapped out Crx asking 22k... Blame YouTube and social media...

• Useful
The search engines suck these days since Craigslist started charging to list there, 95% of private owner cars are on Facebook. Facebook plain sucks to search and won't show you all the ads. On top of that most are listed in echo chamber groups who do nothing but trying to pump the value of them... The amount of cars I looked at in person that have comments like, " you listed that car too low" or "that should sell fast" only to find rot patched with fiber fill in under 5 mins or slapped together cars with a macro special after driving a few hours got real old.....
Funny you should mention it, I just checked facebook and found an N/A MR2 with 215,000 miles for $4000. The owner specificallly shows pictures of how bad the condition is. I might go get it. I honestly don't care how yobbed up it is. I'm going to replace the seats, and go thrash it on track days. I'm not interested in good paint and perfect body work.

Kurt