5 lug conversion questions...yes I have searched

Hoping for some advice for those that have done this recently. With the nearly impossible ability to find replacement 13" tires anymore I am considering taking the plunge to 5 lug wheels if I need new ones anyway.

Lots of information on the front conversion but not a lot of confirmations I have seen on what works for the rear.

I have seen that 66 8" rear axles appear to fit but may require an extra spacer before the retaining plate. I have also seen the same axles referenced for both the 66 and 76 but they are cut to fit from Yukon (YA F8-28-27.18 & YA F8-28-32.87)

Anyone have any experience with either the 66 replacement axles or cut to fit Yukons?

I'm also assuming any Ford 8" center section is a direct fit replacement also. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the site! :cheers:

I'm almost positive that any 8" carrier will work. As for axles, I don't have any hands on experience, but I've also read that 65-66 axles are ALMOST the same length. If memory serves, there's maybe .25" difference? The advantage of the Yukons would be that they're cut to fit, so that would probably be the easiest option.

I've also heard of people welding and redrilling their existing axles with a 5 bolt pattern. I believe you can then use Ranger drums iirc. I'd have to research that again to confirm though.

On another note, are you thinking of going 5 lug for wheel options or ?
There are a number of 4 lug wheels produced that would work. Going that route would be easier on the bank account vs going 5 lug AND new wheels. :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
There is a thread in the stickies above under 'Best of Tech...' to give you ideas of what can work. For simplicity, here is that link if you'd like to take a look.

Reactions: 2 users