1/4 mile vid of 05 Stang GT

This video is all over every mustang forum I have been to. From what I can gather from people that were there at that track is that the car was a 5 speed auto and the guy driving had a ton of instrumentation equipment in the car. He was taking it easy on the launch according to people. I would not worry too much about this 14.2 as I see this car at least doing 13.5 as manual and 13.9 as an auto. Think about it, plenty of 5 speed guys in 99-04 stangs hover around 14.0 to 14.2 in 1/4 mile times, I am pretty sure ford did not make this brand new Mustang slower than the outgoing Mustang.

• Sponsors (?)

An auto GT running low 14s is an improvement over the current GT, right?

If the 2005 comes out with near 300 HP it will run mid 13s IMO.

On top of that, guys doing 13 second passes in their Mach 1's are either

a) driving that same car all the time (so they really know how to launch it)
or
b) working for a car magazine that specializes in acceleration times (C&D doesn't speed shift, doesn't pre-heat tires, etc.)

I'm going to disagree with this statement. The second time I took my Mach to the track I ran a 13.5. The only reason I didn't run in the 13s the first time is because there were puddles of water on the starting line. The day I ran the 13.5 another Mach ran a 13.2 and it was his his first time ever at a dragstrip. Granted he's owned muscle cars since the 70s including a 428 Mach.

And I'm no magazine driver as I had driven a stick at the strip one other time before my Mach.

I found out it is a 5-speed auto(mybad) and he was babing it. He also had some extra instrumentation inside the car. Prolly was running some simple test and not really racing it to hard.

I think the car should do better. Yea its an auto but its a 5-speed so that should help.IMO

JimBowy said:
posm6s, if you could tell me what other forum you found this on?
i just noticed the video is from my local track!
SVTPerformance

trublustang03 said:
This video is all over every mustang forum I have been to. From what I can gather from people that were there at that track is that the car was a 5 speed auto and the guy driving had a ton of instrumentation equipment in the car. He was taking it easy on the launch according to people. I would not worry too much about this 14.2 as I see this car at least doing 13.5 as manual and 13.9 as an auto. Think about it, plenty of 5 speed guys in 99-04 stangs hover around 14.0 to 14.2 in 1/4 mile times, I am pretty sure ford did not make this brand new Mustang slower than the outgoing Mustang.
Got a link to where other people were talking about this? That would seem very likely to me, thanks :)

Black_Bullit said:
An auto GT running low 14s is an improvement over the current GT, right?

If the 2005 comes out with near 300 HP it will run mid 13s IMO.

I'm going to disagree with this statement. The second time I took my Mach to the track I ran a 13.5. The only reason I didn't run in the 13s the first time is because there were puddles of water on the starting line. The day I ran the 13.5 another Mach ran a 13.2 and it was his his first time ever at a dragstrip. Granted he's owned muscle cars since the 70s including a 428 Mach.

And I'm no magazine driver as I had driven a stick at the strip one other time before my Mach.

Then you are a good driver!

I have to think that you'd done some hot launches on the street from time-to-time, however (grin). It's all practice. How long did you own the Mach 1 before you drove it on the 1/4 mile strip?

The point was well-made by others that this guy wasn't launching hard. Maybe he was babying it, maybe he was afraid he'd sit in cloud of smoke and go nowhere unless he launched soft. Whatever it is, we can see that he didn't launch very hard.

Z28x said:
95mph trap :nonono:

So much for those underrated 4.6L rumors. Can the new A5 really be that much of a dog????

no, it probably isnt that much of a dog. from what is being said here, the guy was doing tests with it and wasnt being run hard. i wouldnt be surprised if the new A5 GT runs in the 13's. that would be killer, an automatic mustang in the 13's!

Z28x said:
95mph trap :nonono:

So much for those underrated 4.6L rumors. Can the new A5 really be that much of a dog????

How can you draw a conclusion from one little video with absolutely no evidence that he car was being taken to its limit?

Never mind, I'll answer for you....YOU CAN'T! How about we wait until there are few magazine reviews and some real world passes by more than one car by different drivers before we pass judgement?

u can just listen to the car and tell its not being ran hard....and plus look at his start off...like someone else said it looks like he was just taking off from a city stop light....and im really not worried cuz ive seen people run high 14s in cobras on their first runs...then a few minutes later be doing high 12s....so as everyone else says wait for mm&ff to do a test

It's all practice. How long did you own the Mach 1 before you drove it on the 1/4 mile strip?

I had 1000 miles on the car when I ran the 13.5.

There was a Mach at the track today running 14.0s. I asked him at what RPM he was shifting and he said 5800. Doh. He should be shifting 1st at 6800 and the other gears at around 6200-6400.
It was his first day at the track.

It's really easy to get a 300 fwhp mustang to run 13s. If the 2005 has 300 you'll see a bunch of 13s IMO.