13" brake kit = rusty rotors *sigh*

• Sponsors (?)

heres a better pic than the cardomain pic
Picture-111.jpg

AmBo said:
Incredibly sexy. Why did you put 315s in the rear? Tired of curbing your rims? :rolleyes:

Also, why does your caliper have GREEN on it?!
never curbed these rims :nono:
If i curbed them they would be gone and id have a new set, hate curbed rims they look like pure ****
295's looked to small to me so i went with 315's

If you don't like curbed rims, you would despise my rims. One time I drove into a freakin curb on accident cuz I was messin around with my buddy. It was HORRIBLE. I uffed up my rim HORRIBLY and also damaged my side skirt. *sigh* It'll all get replaced one day...one day...

Question, how much does getting tires mounted and balanced normally run?

When I did my front conversion a few months ago, I opted to buy the genuine Brembo rotors from Tire Rack. They come anodized a gold color (zinc coated I believe) over the entire rotor. Of course, the pads rub off the area when they come in contact with, but the rest is still a purdy gold color and hasn't shown any signs of rust yet.

I bought the Calipers and pads seperately.

Oh, btw, and I may be wrong, but Brembo doesn't make a slotted and drilled rotor, only either/or. So, if someone tries to sell you a slotted AND drilled rotor, it's probably done by a third party company and sold that way. Might want to watch out for that.

I had my rotors nickel plated to keep the rotor from rusting. I've done it to the past 2 sets of rotors that I've had with no problems. A buddy of mine who used to run Master Power Brakes told me to use it. I think it costed me about $20 a rotor, but that might have been because the guy who did it was a friend of a friend. But I have my 13" kit on now and it works perfectly with no rust. :nice: I can email pics if anyone wants any.

Do you have just OEM Brembos that you nickel plated? Pics are ALWAYS good!

I think I'm just going to ride on the rust till next spring. Next spring is going to be an expensive one seeing that I am probably going to be dropping ~4k into my car...and that isn't even to s/c it...

~$2k - 18x9 Chrome Saleens on BFGs
$700 - New Baer front rotors & Brembo rears.
~$1k - New canvas top
~$500- Roush Stg. III Front Fascia or 03 Cobra front Fascia
~$500 to $1k - Small things (LCH, Sway bar, strut tower brace, etc)

Yes, it will be an expensive spring, but my car will love me. :flag:

AmBo said:
If you don't like curbed rims, you would despise my rims. One time I drove into a freakin curb on accident cuz I was messin around with my buddy. It was HORRIBLE. I uffed up my rim HORRIBLY and also damaged my side skirt. *sigh* It'll all get replaced one day...one day...

Question, how much does getting tires mounted and balanced normally run?

Check out 4.6 Talk there is a thread started by a guy with before and after photos of a curbed rim. Check it out much better than having curbed rims.

Z28 KILR said:
Check out 4.6 Talk there is a thread started by a guy with before and after photos of a curbed rim. Check it out much better than having curbed rims.

Yea, but I have chrome rims. I don't think you would want to put sand paper to chrome rims. :rlaugh: "Heeeere we go, let's just sand off this layer of chrome" :rlaugh:

same thing happened to me , took off the wheel , held up a piece of cardboard to keep paint off the caliper , used some 99 cent walmart spray black and spun rotor and painted the rusted center part with one heavy coat , put wheel back on , overspray where the pads hit was gone in 5 miles of driving , looks like new again ......

The easiest, cheapest and best solution IMO is go get yourself some high temp paint (600F or 1200F-black, silver, whatever), some brake cleaner, 3M scuff pad and some paint thinner or laquer thinner.

Scuff up the entire rotor with the 3M pad, clean it off with the cleaner and spray the ENTIRE rotor with the paint. When dry, wipe the brake surface off with the thinners. Don't use too much thinners if you have drilled rotors as you want the paint to stick in the holes as they rust badly.

I've always done this and my last car that I did 3 years ago still looks just as good without any rust