Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I decided to change the way time is marked with regard to painting a car.

There's BD....
And AD.

That's Before Dave, And After Dave.

Before Dave, I dreaded the process of spraying primer from the gun. Even following the instructions exactly, the results I got were always crap.
But then there's Dave.
Dave being a professional painter, and clearly being of sounder mind than the author, Dave managed to point me in the right direction after a simple phone call.
I told Dave what was going on, and what I had for material....

He thinks about it for a second.....

You gotta add reducer. You're trying to spray tar. He recommended that I add reducer to the 2k primer at a ratio of 4:1:1.

That's 4 parts primer, 1 part activator, and one part reducer.

So that's what I did.

What I got was paint. That sprayed out of the gun. And although it's the same shot that has been shown a million times,....

B99D199F-D774-44DD-8BB9-F23662689701_zpsqokejcdz.jpg

There's no sand in the paint. I think I'm down to one more blocking.........maybe.

I asked Iowa Nick what he thought of how it came out ........@95BlueStallion, as he always has some words of wisdom to lend to the build...
295386_709751755349_71806570_35404386_1281303_n_zps23xuimze.jpg

Also Thanks go to to the never tiring Dave @Davedacarpainter

I told Dave If I could just get this damn thing in paint, the build would march along exponentially...

Today, I got a little closer.

Congrats Mike. :nice:

And yeah, Dave is awesome. :nice:
Shucks guys, let's celebrate me and drink some beer, though normally, of course, I don't like having a beer this early!

Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I honestly can't tell if there is sarcasm there or not but I assume there is.

I usually find my time there fun, especially with a group of family and friends. But take away the fishing, and all that's left is drinking and I get bored with drinking and lounging for too long. That's just me but I'm sure that's fine for others. I was just pointing out there isn't a lot to do...not speaking ill of it one way or the other.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I absolutely LOVE to fish, and beer drinking might be considered tolerable for me too.

I haven't been on a vacation in literally eleven years. I've worked with few full two day weekends off for the entire time. A three day weekend is for those special people that live in places like "The Hamptons" to me.

So, fishing and drinking does sound VERY close to Nirvana for me. I don't even consider the amount of time that I would be allowed to do this wonder, because it isn't happening for at least three more years.

I'll be an older bastard then, almost Mike's age;)! But, OH MY GAWD, it sounds sweet.....

I can see though, if you had the opportunity to do this on a regular basis, it might seem a bit "too much".

Now you know why I get up at 3:30 to work on my car.:nice:

Reactions: 1 user
Shucks guys, let's celebrate me and drink some beer, though normally, of course, I don't like having a beer this early!

You guys hear that Budweiser is being renamed "America" for the summer (or was it until the Pres election)? Now I am normally a pretty consistent Bud Light drinker, but it looks like I will be growing my gut this summer, and having celebratory Dave beers all summer long. Here's to you, Bud, eh, America! @Davedacarpainter

PS: Bit chin job, Mike.

Reactions: 2 users
You guys hear that Budweiser is being renamed "America" for the summer (or was it until the Pres election)? Now I am normally a pretty consistent Bud Light drinker, but it looks like I will be growing my gut this summer, and having celebratory Dave beers all summer long. Here's to you, Bud, eh, America! @Davedacarpainter

Oh yeah, Mike! Glad things worked out buddy.

Congrats Mike. :nice:

And yeah, Dave is awesome. :nice:

Thanks, and you're right.

So did ya fix the Tv?
Lol
Yes, elsewise I wouldn't have been in the garage at noon. Fortunately for the customer, what got damaged by the storm was a signal adapter called an HDMI balun instead of her TV. Fortunately for me, that meant 200 more dollars that went into the keep Mike off the side of the interstate w/ a cardboard sign fund.
Why does it not surprise me to learn that you like Budlight? Let me rephrase your reply to put that into perspective...
"Now I am normally a pretty consistent Bland light drinker, but it looks like I'm gonna cave in like AB was hoping, and even though it is a blatant misuse of American symbolism, And even though I should be offended that Anheiser Busch has reduced the name of this country to a can of beer that will eventually end up laying around on the ground, and be seen in a trash can, will do my part to grow my gut, and have celebratory Dave beer all summer long
.":flag:
God bless 'Murica.

Why thanks, Nick.

Oh yeah, Mike! Glad things worked out buddy.
How could they not?

B99D199F-D774-44DD-8BB9-F23662689701_zpsqokejcdz.jpg

Is that a foxbody in the background?
That is #2's car. It was #1's, but He decided that he wanted to spend 400.00 a month on a Jeep. Now, poor little financially challenged, soon to graduate #2 wants to know if I can help him fix it up.

By buying all off the stuff to fix it up with. And strip, and repaint it.......

Uhh,........ No said the finger.

Strip and repaint.....Double No said the finger.

Help yes,....... buy, No. Paint Never.

I'll break down, and buy some stuff for him for graduation. And I'll show him which end of a phillips head screw driver works best.

Cause right now,...that is the only tool he's ever had in his hand.

So,....now that recognition has been handed back out,....I blocked the passenger side of the car w/ a #320 grit dry.
It loads up after about 3 passes back and forth, and then little primer chunks form on the paper that force you to stop, and clean the paper off. Then 3 more back and forths,....and clean the paper. Sand, clean.......:mad::mad::mad:
I did this after an hour of the paint drying yesterday.

Maybe I was trying to do this too early @Davedacarpainter?

Maybe I put the tires on it, roll it out, and wet sand the whole thing w/ 400 instead?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, and you're right.

Yes, elsewise I wouldn't have been in the garage at noon. Fortunately for the customer, what got damaged by the storm was a signal adapter called an HDMI balun instead of her TV. Fortunately for me, that meant 200 more dollars that went into the keep Mike off the side of the interstate w/ a cardboard sign fund.

Why thanks, Nick.

How could they not?

That is #2's car. It was #1's, but He decided that he wanted to spend 400.00 a month on a Jeep. Now, poor little financially challenged, soon to graduate #2 wants to know if I can help him fix it up.

By buying all off the stuff to fix it up with. And strip, and repaint it.......

Uhh,........ No said the finger.

Strip and repaint.....Double No said the finger.

Help yes,....... buy, No. Paint Never.

I'll break down, and buy some stuff for him for graduation. And I'll show him which end of a phillips head screw driver works best.

Cause right now,...that is the only tool he's ever had in his hand.

So,....now that recognition has been handed back out,....I blocked the passenger side of the car w/ a #320 grit dry.
It loads up after about 3 passes back and forth, and then little primer chunks form on the paper that force you to stop, and clean the paper off. Then 3 more back and forths,....and clean the paper. Sand, clean.......:mad::mad::mad:
I did this after an hour of the paint drying yesterday.

Maybe I was trying to do this too early @Davedacarpainter?

Maybe I put the tires on it, roll it out, and wet sand the whole thing w/ 400 instead?
Yeah Mike, you're just getting on it too fast. A catalyzed primer needs more time than the rattle can stuff. Wait till your next day off is what I would suggest.

You could safely get after it today after work though.

Status
Not open for further replies.