Status
Not open for further replies.
3 years is a long time to remember anything- let alone an exact details of an Aussie head straight six w/t a filled block,linked lifters,Aussie cam,Toyota timing chain etc etc etc :D
I agree.

But It's one thing not to remember,...It's another to come up w/ the world according to Garp, like they do in Iowa.

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Sigh.........

I am now convinced that I need to only post pictures with minimal commentary like every other thread, as it will not make any difference what I say, whether it be 10 words or 100.
The head overhangs the block. The lifter galley is wider on the Aussie block, hence the need for the plate. I thought that was obvious from the A.B.C. picture gallery I posted this morning.

It might have been obvious but I was mentally hung up this morning on why the pistons were installed before the block was decked. Then I saw something shiny and forgot about it.

Reactions: 1 user
It might have been obvious but I was mentally hung up this morning on why the pistons were installed before the block was decked. Then I saw something shiny and forgot about it.
The pistons in the next to the last pic were there temporarily to determine deck height. You can see the .008 written on the block at each end.

Dog gonnit, I just spent the last few weeks learn'n to read and now your gonna just post pics?
Now I gotta find something for my cartoon mind to do, maybe I can get my cat to talk to mike's cat and he can talk to the monster and he will tell mike 'no says the finger'
:nono:

Dog gonnit, I just spent the last few weeks learn'n to read and now your gonna just post pics?
Now I gotta find something for my cartoon mind to do, maybe I can get my cat to talk to mike's cat and he can talk to the monster and he will tell mike 'no says the finger'
:nono:
Evidently sir you are one of 3 that actually read what I write. The rest skip straight to the pictures.

Reactions: 1 users
Evidently sir you are one of 3 that actually read what I write. The rest skip straight to the pictures.

That's not true either. I usually start with the pictures, then I look to see if someone has already asked a question that I thought of. If they did, and you answer, then I move on. If they did, and you didn't, well... Then I read your whole description to see if my pondering was contained in the text.

It's a skimming kind of procedure. ;););):):)
:cool::cool::pFear not however, The detailed post come in VERY handy when rolling backwards and looking through posts to see how or if something was done previously.

As such: That is where THIS little feature comes in handy:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/search/24420584/

So keep doing what you're doing Mike. I rib you about long posts but it does make quite a difference in the end. :nice:

p.s. pardon the smiley explosion up there. I'm hunting forum gremlins.

Reactions: 2 users
Mike don't worry about your long-winded explanations they are what your build is without them it just wouldn't be the same. The real issue is the fact that you speak Super Genius that's confusing the simple-minded like myself.

That's not true either. I usually start with the pictures, then I look to see if someone has already asked a question that I thought of. If they did, and you answer, then I move on. If they did, and you didn't, well... Then I read your whole description to see if my pondering was contained in the text.

It's a skimming kind of procedure. ;););):):)
:cool::cool::pFear not however, The detailed post come in VERY handy when rolling backwards and looking through posts to see how or if something was done previously.

As such: That is where THIS little feature comes in handy:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/search/24420584/

So keep doing what you're doing Mike. I rib you about long posts but it does make quite a difference in the end. :nice:

p.s. pardon the smiley explosion up there. I'm hunting forum gremlins.

That little feature doesn't work for me.....says Stangnet Error.

Mike don't worry about your long-winded explanations they are what your build is without them it just wouldn't be the same. The real issue is the fact that you speak Super Genius that's confusing the simple-minded like myself.

Nobody should lose any sleep over my attitude last night.....I was tired. I knew that the comments coming from the Iowegian were in jest, and the Noobz always has made the "lookin at the pikchurs" the first step to seeing if what I added was worthy of a full read, or just my usual fill blather.

It's one thing to make light of one of my shortcuts.....(Like propping up a cedar beam w/ a regular 2 x 4 wedged in between), but when I have succeeded in reconfiguring something using parts that were intended for a completely different engine,..the thing runs, and all I gotta figure out are a few oil leaks.............Don't poke me too hard.

Gila Monsters are slow and pretty stupid, and they do have a very tough beaded skin.....

But they ARE poisonous.

Reactions: 3 users
I actually look forward to the wisdom of the MadMike commentary. The pictures are an added bonus. Most of the time I don't get a chance to check the progress until either somebody gave good input or you figure it out on your own. So its mostly just educational for me. But I am one of the guys that follow this build closely. I can't wait til the bugs are worked out and you are able to plant your foot into that narrow pedal on the right and leave it their for a while and grow a HUUUGE smile! :burnout::D:cool:

To who would they appear to? I still see Stangnet error.
upload_2016-12-10_22-33-17.png

Mike I cant possibly pull out any more timing, its as low as I can get it on this tune sir. I don't recommend going below 16*

I redid the cruise area timing its higher for fuel economy.

Attachments

• Mike new timing.msq
    119.2 KB · Views: 230
Mike I cant possibly pull out any more timing, its as low as I can get it on this tune sir. I don't recommend going below 16*

I redid the cruise area timing its higher for fuel economy.
Nowww.....wait a minute. You go from 22 degrees at idle, to 36 degrees at 1400 RPM?
I may be missing something here, but it seems like that "curve" is more like a cliff.
If I'm gonna jump it up like that, I may as well put the whole table at 36 (except the areas where it's gonna be in boost).

The race cars (mine) had a "locked timing" curve and were typically set to total timing whatever that would be,...even at idle. It made for a slow crank sometimes, but timing was taken out of the equation that way.....Why wouldn't we just do this here?

** BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzztttttttttttttt!!!!!

The following commentary has no pictoral content included. It contains zero usable tips and tricks that may be of benefit to anyone who bothers to read it. There may be inferences to debauchery and/or drunk talk, or drinking included, or it might not.
If you have a short attention span, or have an aversion to reading
click here.http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/forums/1979-1995-fox-sn95-0-2-3l-general-talk.47/

It's Sunday. My day off was moved to Monday (from Wednesday) when they made the new schedule, so now I got two days off back to back again.

I'm thinkin' that's a Yea?:banana:

I rigged up a head band system for the Go-Pro wannabe camera using one of my old welding helmet headband inserts.
It looks so stupid when I'm wearin' it, the image of me doing it is probably viral video material in of itself. I look like I escaped the electric chair w/ the head electrode still strapped on my head. But I works,...You'll see what I see as I turn my head, so I'm excited to use it today.

I guess that a still of that menagerie will probably be included in today's pictorial,....along with Raggedy's @RaggedGT recommendation for a camera mount for the roof and body,...I now have a way to strap that dude safely for a ride along on both the inside and the outside of the car.

Can we have another Yea?:banana:

I got to talk w/ Steve @a91what before I do that today, there are still issues with the tune that I want to fix.
(actually,.I want him to fix it,...I'll just take credit for it) You know,..like the guy that has a mechanic/shop build his car for him then posts pics of the build and uses the word "We" when he updates what was done to the car.

i.e. "Here we are doing stuff that I can't, don't, or won't do"

I'm not saying that I do everything myself,..... Matter of fact there are things that I simply can't do no matter how hard I try....
I can't cut my own hair (what is left of it).
I can't remove and replace my own knees, or fix that damn dislocated 2nd toe that will eventually cripple me.
I can't speak Mandarin Chinese, although if you were in the garage when I was having one of my rage conniption fits,...you swear that I speak it fluently.
I can't be nice it seems,..But I can be one hell of a prick,

So.......I got that going for me,........which is nice.

I can't paint a car evidently,.....I can change the color of the car easily enough,...I just can't paint. It's a difference between textures I guess.
I can't write computer code,...which coincidently seems a little like trying to tune the car,..so yeah... We are gonna have to go over a few things on the tune.

While allowing my meandering mind to wander off course, I was thinking the other day that maybe I'll just remove the Turbo. Maybe I'll reconfigure Medusa so that I can just change out the collector and swap between N/A exhaust, and that wheezer. That way I could tune the car more safely w/o fear of that turbo melting something inside the engine,...or bending or blowing something something else. If the turbo wasn't sitting there, I know that the cool factor will go right out the window, but the reliability factor will go up exponentially. And this car is meant to be driven,...Fast.....is secondary.

I just don't know if I'll be able to tolerate what miserable horsepower that I may be left with w/o the benefit of forced induction. Maybe 250-300.....probably alot less. The cam overlap will become audible though, and it is a pretty big cam at that, so maybe the poppity-pop of a big duration (for a banger) camshaft will be music enough?
The biggest motivator for considering this is the head gasket. The other is the connecting rods. Both are weak sauce in this engine. Both solutions are out there though,...One will cost 300-350,....and the other, 550.00-600.00. A cometic head gasket, and a set of forged I beams.......One thousand bucks....Money that I woulda spent w/o blinking when I had it, now, one thousand more dollars needing to be spent that is way harder to get based on my current income. And w/o knowing the limit of what is currently in the engine,....money that may not even need to be spent.
(Especially if I remove the turbo).

I drive 300 HP cars everyday at work. Most of them w/ little 3 liter engines or smaller. And everyone of those cars feel faster than sht to me. They are turbocharged,..and full of current tech,..I know that w/o it they would probably be miserable as well.

I keep thinking...... "If I remove the Turbo, and this car makes 250-300 HP, I know that it'll make similarly big torque, why would I need that hot assed thing sitting up there again?"

Oh yeah,.....sight, sound,.......boost.

These engines (the aussie version) in stock config made pitiful power.....like 165 pitiful for example.
For me to hope that the ported head, bigger valves, big roller, and improved induction will double that seems a little overly far sighted.
Commensurately,...put a wheezer on these engines(or just leave it),..and pound in 16PSI,....all of the sudden you have a 400+HP, and just stupid amounts of TQ. (Like 550 at 2700 RPM)

And the heat,....fatigue, and failure that will come with it. And this car was meant to be driven.

But....

If I do keep the snail on the engine, and I set my sights conservatively......I'm thinkin that 5 PSI is gonna get me there though. That would mean that I take the damn boost controller off,.and let the WG springs do what they're supposed to do. 300/300 is my new lowered target for leaving that, or removing that turbo.

So,......Did you read all the way down to here?.... Congratulations...

Chime in,.....I want to know who I'm talking to here.

I think there's 7-10 of you. I can guess pretty much who this'll be.

Maybe I'll surprise myself,...maybe I'll be wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.