Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a data log of that run Mike? If you do I'd like to take a look at it for you
well of course not......that would have at least told us what boost number it hit before I lifted (I'm thinking 1-2 pounds).

Whatever is happening isn't any result of that incident anyway. The thing has always smoked out of the VC since starting it,...and I've always let that go as the engine just needing drive time to seat the rings. The rings in this engine are low tension, and paper thin. When putting the thing together that first time the machine shop had neglected to cut a chamfer at the top of the bore to make installing the pistons easier. I ended up grinding that chamfer into the tops of each cylinder myself. Not the most concentric of chamfers I'll admit.

If there is a damaged ring, it wouldn't have taken much to do it is all I know.

But again,...me getting ahead of myself. I'll know more tomorrow. I have another "late morning" so I'll start the thing as soon as it's appropriate. I was gonna do that here when I get home tonight, but the wife decided that Tequila was on the menu.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Didnt reply because I dont know anything about glued together inline sixes and what could possibly leak oil in a single cylinder, aside from guessing the glued on plate isnt sealed perfectly at the head gasket and is letting oil around in places it shouldnt.

well of course not......that would have at least told us what boost number it hit before I lifted (I'm thinking 1-2 pounds).

Whatever is happening isn't any result of that incident anyway. The thing has always smoked out of the VC since starting it,...and I've always let that go as the engine just needing drive time to seat the rings. The rings in this engine are low tension, and paper thin. When putting the thing together that first time the machine shop had neglected to cut a chamfer at the top of the bore to make installing the pistons easier. I ended up grinding that chamfer into the tops of each cylinder myself. Not the most concentric of chamfers I'll admit.

If there is a damaged ring, it wouldn't have taken much to do it is all I know.

But again,...me getting ahead of myself. I'll know more tomorrow. I have another "late morning" so I'll start the thing as soon as it's appropriate. I was gonna do that here when I get home tonight, but the wife decided that Tequila was on the menu.
Ooooh.....Tequila!

Didnt reply because I dont know anything about glued together inline sixes and what could possibly leak oil in a single cylinder, aside from guessing the glued on plate isnt sealed perfectly at the head gasket and is letting oil around in places it shouldnt.
Well,...I could see how you might think that if you didn't know where that "glued on" plate was glued on.

So,...for the sake of being fair.
xpfp-jpg.120202.jpg

nnsy-jpg.119651.jpg

temporary_zpse3ceef1c-jpg.117173.jpg

So now you know. As you look at the bottom pic it's 6 on the left and one on the right.
Not really sure how any oil could leak into the chamber as a result of my glued on plate getting past the stock deck surface that was always left alone as cast from Ford. The pic is still before decking.

temporary_zps49d1d2d4-jpg.115622.jpg

and all said and done....I just don't think the plate on the side affects the cylinder seal one little bit.

Reactions: 4 users
All bad things aside,......You gotta love technology.

This morning it's 28 degrees outside. As I said I intended to last night, I wanted to start the car and let it heat cycle to see what the #5 spark plug was gonna look like.

So I go downstairs, open the garage door up about 5 feet,....put the car in neutral and drag it halfway out of the garage (Because the car will make the whole house stink of exhaust fumes if I leave it in the garage.)

And I start it.

Then I go upstairs and open tuner studio and it connects to the car from my chair where it's now separated by one floor and 25'.

I watch as the thing comes up to temp,..the AFR still erratically swinging between the 14.5 that Steve set to as much as 16.0 on the gauge.
After a couple of minutes the car has hit it's 140 degree mark that is the set point for the fast idle valve to pull off and the car, and it slows to normal idle speed. I check the AFR,...it's confined to two cells. Only moving about half a point in the table....I make a small adjustment to fatten it up and the thing stabilizes,...I burn it,...it stabilizes to one cell.

I let the car get to 190,...and pull it back in and shut it off.

Now I'm waiting about 30 mins till the thing gets cool enough to mass with #5,...which is right behind the turbine.

I guess I'll see here in about ten minutes.

Reactions: 2 users
So then.....one part of the experiment behind me.

The original #5 moved to another random cylinder,....the suspect cylinder get's it's plug pulled after a 10 minute run up to temp.

Anndd this is what we get:
70F22993-6197-4F2E-831E-5789A5C82628_zpssigvp5nw.jpg

I don't see no stinkin oil.

How did that happen then? How did the #5 come out of the cylinder so wet that it looked like I dropped it into a pan of oil, and now after running a high vacuum warm-up the plug comes out clean? (well,...what you'd expect it to look like after the engine had been idling).

Can I conclude that engine oil can in fact oooze down the threads of a tightly screwed in spark plug?

I guess the next test is another run around the neighborhood to see if it comes out clean after that.

The car still runs erratically,....it dies when you move it from first when you try to put it in reverse/neutral/park. As soon as that shifter hits 3rd gear,..it seems to kill the engine.....(Not 100% sure on that yet gotta look more into that).
The idle is still not nailed down,..the warm-up still has a weird surge thingy going on.

The surge will subside once you get your warmup afr in target. aim for the warmup fuel to be slightly fatter than warm idle. this will stabilize it.
If fully warm afr is 13.5ish, go into the warmup enrichment fueling and manually adjust it as the car warms up. you will do nothing with the ve table just the warmup fuel percentage adjustment.
Set warmup fueling to around 12.5-13.3 afr for a more stable warmup idle.

If the car is surging directly after startup, add a few percent to the after start enrichment.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been reading this debacle you're going through. Is it possible that a little oil could've still been around the plug and it got wet while unscrewing it ?

Glad the test turned out well.

Well,...I could see how you might think that if you didn't know where that "glued on" plate was glued on.

So,...for the sake of being fair.

So now you know. As you look at the bottom pic it's 6 on the left and one on the right.
Not really sure how any oil could leak into the chamber as a result of my glued on plate getting past the stock deck surface that was always left alone as cast from Ford. The pic is still before decking.

temporary_zps49d1d2d4-jpg.115622.jpg

and all said and done....I just don't think the plate on the side affects the cylinder seal one little bit.

I see now how that affects nothing. That being said, why did you really need that plate glued on there? The head really wouldnt stay put without it?

I see now how that affects nothing. That being said, why did you really need that plate glued on there? The head really wouldnt stay put without it?
You really need to spend the next three weeks or so of your spare time and read the whole thread, between falling off your chair laugh ing and WTF and not again and again and again, your just missing out, you will appreciate the ' Mike and the Monster ' show much better.

You really need to spend the next three weeks or so of your spare time and read the whole thread, between falling off your chair laugh ing and WTF and not again and again and again, your just missing out, you will appreciate the ' Mike and the Monster ' show much better.

Ive been here from the beginning. Its just been a bit since engine assembly (despite Mike just getting his fingers unglued), and I cant remember any further back than last weekend. I just knew the head gasket covers the top of that plate, and its a thin copper gasket (if I remember that right, cause you put it together last Wednesday I think? @madmike1157 ). So I thought maybe it wasnt perfectly smooth and therefore had a leak due to the plate.

No... the oil would all spill out along with the lifters
Now I am really confused, and need to take trip down memory lane as @karthief suggested. How did the lifters stay put before the plate in the block's stock configuration? Hmmm, nevermind, doesnt matter really, where did I put down my beer? Ah, there it is, continue on friends.

Now I am really confused, and need to take trip down memory lane as @karthief suggested. How did the lifters stay put before the plate in the block's stock configuration? Hmmm, nevermind, doesnt matter really, where did I put down my beer? Ah, there it is, continue on friends.
You're working too hard. I just look at the pikcherz till something grabs my attention and then...

I know, all this reading, and quoting, and reading, and looking at something that Mike made up using Chebby parts that kinda fit, and then trying to think about what could have gone wrong.... Oh I dont know @madmike1157 , you basically let us know you Frankenstiened your engine together, grinded some stuff unevenly, used paper for piston rings, hot glued you lifter guides, and then slapped a Chinese turbo to it. I know exactly why its blowing oil in where it shouldnt! You shoulda gone this route.
2jz_zpsxlfz8cj8.jpg

But ok, all joking aside, have you figured anything out yet Mikey? I am curious if it is serious, or if you have found a simple explanation.

Last edited:
I know, all this reading, and quoting, and reading, and looking at something that Mike made up using Chebby parts that kinda fit, and then trying to think about what could have gone wrong.... Oh I dont know @madmike1157 , you basically let us know you Frankenstiened your engine together, grinded some stuff unevenly, used paper for piston rings, hot glued you lifter guides, and then slapped a Chinese turbo to it. I know exactly why its blowing oil in where it shouldnt! You shoulda gone this route.
2jz_zpsxlfz8cj8.jpg
Sigh.........

I am now convinced that I need to only post pictures with minimal commentary like every other thread, as it will not make any difference what I say, whether it be 10 words or 100.
The head overhangs the block. The lifter galley is wider on the Aussie block, hence the need for the plate. I thought that was obvious from the A.B.C. picture gallery I posted this morning.

No... the oil would all spill out along with the lifters
That's bad right?
Sigh.........

I am now convinced that I need to only post pictures with minimal commentary like every other thread, as it will not make any difference what I say, whether it be 10 words or 100.
You've reached "the awakening". Join me in a simplified show-n-tell style illustration of car building.
We're all just here for shiny pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.