Status
Not open for further replies.
KINDLE_CAMERA_1491037086000.jpg

ROBH
Member in good standing.

Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

You guys........:nonono:. You don't know how "locked on" to using the stuff I pictured that I am.

The car doesn't know that the stuff I'm using was intended for a home based solution. When I'm finished, neither will any human.

I could attempt to fabricate a one piece "car themed" solution to duct air into the intake box out of aluminum w/ various bends and angles that would look way more cobbled than the pieces that I've chosen to do this with. It'd also be different if you would even be able to see one inch of any of it once it's all bolted in an hangin'.
The mouth of the inlet will be fabricated to suit the monster's aesthetics, purely because it can be seen, and that will be attached to the duct vent. That one piece will probably be heavier than the entire hodgepodge collection that'll make up the rest of the CAI.

Give it a minute, before you throw rocks at it....The LF tire will already be doing that.:rolleyes:
8ED93936-6B07-4914-993C-70B15046570C.jpeg

Ha! Those Chinee guys,....some days you can just tell when they started a new crew of children at the weld station.

Look at this picture I posted earlier...
ipm-jpg.598418.jpg

See all of the weld spooge oozing out of the center of my cream filled steel donut?

Means that the thing was in two sections, and they welded them together in the middle to make one concentric circle..
Unlike the domestic version that was twice the price, the weld was very prominent,...I figured that I'd use it as a cut line guide to follow along with while using a cutoff wheel on my grinder.

This is what they shipped me...as pictured this morning.
imag0035-jpg.598922.jpg

I look at the thing and think..." Cool, they machined the welds down,...now I won't have to grind them down after I cut them in half."

The line you see is dead center,...at lunchtime, I revised that cut line, and raised it up significantly (.500")
I figured by doingn that, it would leave the center to hang lower, and effectively raise the trumpet up 1/4", and give me more room to accurately cut the center weld out. It's the cut to the center that had to be perfect, as it will make up the mating surface to the top of the throttle body..so being able to see that cut line better was the priority.

So, I start cutting...

Get it all completely cut around the outside perimeter, I unclamp the donut out of my vise, and.......
The thing separates into two halfs.
( And I only cut the outside)
The 3rd shift child worker at the Ding Pao Steel donut factory forgot to weld the center...:O_o:..He did it on all three of them....More likely means that the whole run went out that way. The best part is that the mating surface in the center is machined flat...sits perfectly on top of the throttle body.:banana:

I have to section them. They are too wide to sit side by side. From my calculations,... .960" has to come off each side of the donuts.

Let's think this through...

TB spacing is 4.08 c-to-c. That makes it 2.04" to center between them.
The donut halfs are 6" in diameter .....means .96" has to be removed from each donut so they'll meet up in the middle and still be centered over the TB hole. Measured from the outside.

The bigger problem is how in the hell to make that mark, and how to square up a circle so I can cut a right angle cut down the side,......of a circle,....that's convex. With the tools I got.:shrug:

Have you thought about welding them all together into one big piece? That would give you the ability to weld and grind any imperfections with the cuts or small gaps created.

Joe

Man i missed alot.....:shrug:

If you're still wondering about silicone couplers the silicone radiator hoses come in all sizes....and you can cut them to the length you need. I didnt see another mention of them since tuesday....so.....

You could weld tubing on the bottom of your half donuts and play with the height for best results.

I made an intake for one of my mustangs from pcv piping. That stuff worked ok. I ground down the plastic edges where I joined everything up. Coated it all in rhino liner and no one was the wiser. It didnt aesthetically flow like all the other CAI.

Ive been busy trying to get things together over here with a customers project. Its amazing how people can bring you " free stuff " they acquired to put something together....and then are surprised that a bunch of " the stuff " are trash.

Have you thought about welding them all together into one big piece? That would give you the ability to weld and grind any imperfections with the cuts or small gaps created.

Joe
That is the plan. After they section all together, I plan to weld them together to form the floor of the box. I plan to fab up a way to run a bolt through to the plate that the TB's are mounted on that'll hold the bell mouths tightly against the throttle bodies, and use a piece of silicone tubing that will act as a gasket, or collar to seal them together.

Then I have to figure a way to make the box top removable from the base so that it will be easily done, and also seal the TBs from dirt and dust.

Just a few of the things I gotta do.

Reactions: 1 user
Mike you could make a jig.

Knowing the c-c of the TB make a square jig out of what ever you have lying around, wood could be used and even shaped if needed so that the jig fit snugly against the piece. Draw your lines on each side of the jig and cut.
As enterprising as you are even a thin sheet metal plate with a piece of tubing that fit snugly into the center of the donut could be used as the jig, this would give you a easily defined center.

I think it stoo klate.

I'm drinkin. Jameson.

Hoem by mysef,...ethe wife is enteratingin customers.

Micrrowave dinner in the mocrowave,..wiskey in a glass,..

Got gold in my mouth, my hats on sideways.....looking like a fool with my pants on the ground

Cars to spain to sex = short trip
Jameson consumed = just the right amount for an 'old man'
The funeral = just a plan
Still happy

and

Mike, I have some experience in this area that may help you out.

I ALWAYS drink prior, during and after any work performed on my car.

There, you know what you need to do.....

ROBH happiness....

And who cares what you did over the last 4 days.

Army proof is this.

imag0028_zpszi9cq5hg-jpg.598757.jpg

Worth at least a glass of J~.

And you got lit without burning the house down....pure genius!

What Does It Mean To Get "Lit"?
Definition Two:

"Something that is so Aucking Famazing in any sense."

And I didn't even push the "like" button on CarMichael Angelo's, Wednesday at 4:44 AM New Zealand time post.

Last edited:
Well,....

It's not always about how much you drink,...It's a combination of several things.

#1 have a cold.
#2 Be tired as a result.
#3 Drink Two rocks glasses fairly quickly.....

Mix ingredients completely.......

You get the drunk, sick version of my rambling. Clearly lacking in any symmetry, nothing to tie it all together,.....just a bunch of blah-blah-blah.
( Not to be confused with my regular blah-blah though,...the clear minded version of me makes sure that there's a "moral" to the story.)

I think I'll delete the drunk thread....Yeah,.....Definitely....Poof! There now,.....all better.

*Formalities time:
Hi My Name is Mike, and I occasionally get drunk and write stupid sht.

This morning I'm fetching the necessary ingredients that Ill need to make stuff. This being Friday, that means I'm getting the stuff that I'll need for part of Sunday (maybe), and Monday.
The hangin' around dude in my garage would ask,..."What-r-you wanting to accomplish on these next few days, Mike?" To which I'd respond:.........Well H.A.D., I'm glad that you actually decided to ask a question instead of just sticking your thumb up.:banana:
I have a strong concept in mind. It'll look everybit as good as the old intake did. I think that there'll be enough of the TB's Exposed so as to not need to do any 70's era clear acrylic stuff, although the trumpets should turn out to look pretty cool, but will be entombed in that welded together box.

'S a shame I know,....We'll just have to see what evolves.:thinking:

I am a week behind and I caught up and I'm like what just happened?

And, can you even see over those wipers? Looks like they are already half way up the windshield (or windscreen as some of us would know it by). I actually had someone ridicule my 85 at a car show for that. I went home and cried and pulled the arms off and moved the wipers down to avoid public ridicule in the future.

Wiper's?!!! Windshield?

Awww Strawberry...Are you havin another one of those Vietnam flashbacks man?

Are you talking about the pic of the car I posted 50 REPLIES AGO?....Cause if you are, I'm sorry to have to break it to ya......You're nowhere near caught up.

Since then, I've built an iron lung, cut steel donuts in half while simultaneously dogging child labor in China, considered using Home duct work for a CAI, gotten drunk and slobbered out some gibberish about my knees, and how unimportant sex is in the grand scheme of things, erased that, and now am getting ready to design what will be the air box ...

All of that, And all you wanna know how I see over my wipers........

Two things.....

I'm not a dwarf,...and I sit up straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.