1986 GT T-Top Value

Bjgiii

Jan 5, 2024
Florida
I’m in the market for a four eye and ran across a really nice 86 GT T-top four eye, black on black, 5.0, 5 speed, 80k miles and was wondering what is a good price range for the car.

I’ve noticed the fox market has softened a bit last year and will probably stay that way (just a guess) through this year. I don’t want to over pay and I don’t want to insult anyone either.

Any ideas on a value?

• Sponsors (?)

A really nice Fox near me is between 8 and 15k . If it's everything you want and doesn't need work make a offer your comfortable paying.

$8-15K is probably a decent range. WOuld need more pics and info to really tell.

Black wasn't a factory color interior in 1986, so would need details on how it was converted and what the parts are out of. Is it a dyed interior? If so, would need to see how well of a job it is. Some dye jobs hold up, and some flake off after a year or so. If it's a poorly done interior, i would go toward the lower end of the range. Same with other factors like rust, body condition and how well little odds and ends are holding up. Higher end of the range would be reserved for really nice condition cars.

Here’s a few pictures. The car’s interior has been dyed and upholstered in black leather.
IMG_9467.jpeg
IMG_9471.jpeg
IMG_9469.jpeg

I’m in the market for a four eye and ran across a really nice 86 GT T-top four eye, black on black, 5.0, 5 speed, 80k miles and was wondering what is a good price range for the car.

I’ve noticed the fox market has softened a bit last year and will probably stay that way (just a guess) through this year. I don’t want to over pay and I don’t want to insult anyone either.

Any ideas on a value?
$4,500

Seems clean. Does he have paperwork to back up that 80K mile claim?

I see 5-lug Sn95 brakes. Are the rear disk 5-lug as well? Looks like it's been repainted and I think the bay has been repainted as well. Any rust? were the towers repaired? Inteiror looks well done.

I'm probably in the $8-10K range for that car. I'd go higher if the underside looks pristine and the rest of the car reflects what I see in the pics.

Seems clean. Does he have paperwork to back up that 80K mile claim?

I see 5-lug Sn95 brakes. Are the rear disk 5-lug as well? Looks like it's been repainted and I think the bay has been repainted as well. Any rust? were the towers repaired? Inteiror looks well done.

I'm probably in the $8-10K range for that car. I'd go higher if the underside looks pristine and the rest of the car reflects what I see in the pics.
It's really clean and has been painted. The underside is rust free and the pinch welds are still straight. Everything works including the AC. The interior has been changed to all black and the seats are now leather. I had a friend of mine crawl all over this car and inspect it. He' s taken several of these apart and said he couldn't see anything wrong. Clean carfax and a lot of service records. The current owner is sticking to 17.5 k for his bottom dollar.

17.5 is a [lot] for that car IMO. Let's take the low-ball $4500 from above and assume a paint job done correctly, another $7000.

Under that logic, I'm at $11.5k.

A brand new engine with documentation could put me at the 17.5

Just my opinion tho. I tend to guess high on cars that appear in good condition.

From what I can tell, that's a stock but cleaned up engine?

Engine work would nudge me higher. Not a GT40P/Bcam combo, but a good matched AL-headed combo with high quality parts. From what i can see it looks like a stock '86 HO engine that has been cleaned up.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
From what I can tell, that's a stock but cleaned up engine?

Engine work would nudge me higher. Not a GT40P/Bcam combo, but a good matched AL-headed combo with high quality parts. From what i can see it looks like a stock '86 HO engine that has been cleaned up.
As far as I can tell, It's the original engine. The current owner isn't aware of any upgrades done to the engine. It's just a clean engine bay. It still has the smog pump connected. I'm going to pass on it, just because of the price. I'm not looking to flip anything. I just want to be into something at a good price.